When/How Much does your Chameleon Bask?

When does your Chameleon Bask?

• My Chameleon Basks only in the Morning.

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • My Chameleon Basks only in the Afternoon.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • My Chameleon Basks only in the Evening.

• My Chameleon Basks, in the Morning, and in the Afternoon

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • My Chameleon Basks, in the Morning, and in the Evening.

• My Chameleon Basks, in the Afternoon, and in the Evening.

• My Chameleon Basks off and on, throughout the entire day.

Votes: 28 84.8%
  • My Chameleon Basks constantly, throughout the entire day.

• Total voters
I have my two girls - one veiled, one panther.

Kismet, my veiled, basks for about 20 minutes at a time, patrols for an hour or more, and then returns to basking again for a "recharge". She's up at basking just before lights on at 7 in the morning, and starts tucking in at about 5:30 (light off at 7).

Lily, my panther girl, basks for longer periods of time than Kismet but less frequently. I'm not sure if this is because her health isn't as good or what, but in the morning she'll bask for as long as 2 hours before patrolling. In the afternoon, she'll have another long bask. Sometimes she'll hang out near the warmest spot in her cage without actively basking. I'm still trying to figure out what works best for Lily; she seems to like things much warmer than Kismet, who is thriving at 80-82F tops!

Kismet, my veiled, basks for about 20 minutes at a time, patrols for an hour or more, and then returns to basking again for a "recharge". She's up at basking just before lights on at 7 in the morning, and starts tucking in at about 5:30 (light off at 7).

Lily, my panther girl, basks for longer periods of time than Kismet but less frequently. I'm not sure if this is because her health isn't as good or what, but in the morning she'll bask for as long as 2 hours before patrolling. In the afternoon, she'll have another long bask. Sometimes she'll hang out near the warmest spot in her cage without actively basking. I'm still trying to figure out what works best for Lily; she seems to like things much warmer than Kismet, who is thriving at 80-82F tops!
My girls are only at 79F . They seem to do really great at this temp . Very active , seemingly beautiful colors . They bask very little 5 min then off they go . Clelia beanie has taken to her cup which is on the other side of her basking . We often find her sitting in there like she watching the Opera .

I wonder if some variance we see in that regard could be relative to upbringing?

I was Born in Raised in Pheonix Arizona, its very very hot lol.

My Wife was born and Raised in Pinetop Arizona, its warm in the summer, and very cold in the winter.

We have as a couple, lived in both climates. I cant stand the weather up in the north, and cannot take the cold for a min, I am a wuss with the cold. However 120 is just fine for me, I can deal with that. My wife is the complete opposite, she enjoys the cold, and cannot stand the Desert sun at all.

I know we are humans, obviously. So its not the same, however I wonder if a Cham that spent in first 3-4 months in a breeder that keeps babies very warm, vs one that keeps cooler temps could play a role. Or maybe just an individual comfort thing going on. We know that Chameleons all have differing personality's. So I dont find it to be that far fetched they have differing preferences in environment personally.

I wonder if some variance we see in that regard could be relative to upbringing?

I was Born in Raised in Pheonix Arizona, its very very hot lol.

My Wife was born and Raised in Pinetop Arizona, its warm in the summer, and very cold in the winter.

We have as a couple, lived in both climates. I cant stand the weather up in the north, and cannot take the cold for a min, I am a wuss with the cold. However 120 is just fine for me, I can deal with that. My wife is the complete opposite, she enjoys the cold, and cannot stand the Desert sun at all.

I know we are humans, obviously. So its not the same, however I wonder if a Cham that spent in first 3-4 months in a breeder that keeps babies very warm, vs one that keeps cooler temps could play a role. Or maybe just an individual comfort thing going on. We know that Chameleons all have differing personality's. So I dont find it to be that far fetched they have differing preferences in environment personally.
I think this is possible as well as General health . I also think with captive bred it’s always been controlled . They know no different especially if they hatched with the keeper and the keeper kept them no Exchange to another keeper . They only know what you provide . If they are healthy , strong genetics I think they thrive .

Bumping this, to get some more Voting!

It would also be especially helpful, for folks to comment, what they observe, and their temps throughout the day if possible.

Especially for folks that have a contrast to the majority. So we can pinpoint what is different and why that behavior is seen.

@Decadancin when you get a chance, can you set the poll to be viewable without voting, I thought I would have longer to edit it, didnt want others votes to impact voting at least at first :).

For now, the poll results as of this moment.

2020-02-18 21_23_43-When_How Much does your Chameleon Bask_ _ Chameleon Forums.png

Coda heads from her sleeping spot straight for a snack and goes straight to basking for about 45-60 min. and does her rounds around her cage, (which sometimes includes hanging by her tail to get to the bottom) and goes to bask again ( With water sips in between) off and on before grabbing a bite or two of hibiscus. Shes in her favorite sleeping spot around 5:30ish and all of her lights go out at 7.

My Carpets are in 18L x 18W x 24H inch Exo-Terra's. Room lights come on at 7AM, 24" T5HO duals,
1 6500k and 1 UVB tubes, and basking lights, dimmer controlled, come on about ten minutes later. My temps are max 80F at basking and drop to 76F about 6" lower. Bottom is usually in low 70's, room temp. Chameleons are in and out of the upper temps all day long feeding basking and snooping around, rarely going to the bottom. Adults and current one month old juveniles are kept the same.

Both ways have their merits. Hard to say which is better. I should add that my UVB/plants are on and then a long misting and then the basking lights.
I do exactly like that. I’m happy to finally see someone who shares my opinion on that. I try the more natural way of doing things (y)

Back
Top Bottom