When Do Veileds Get Their Color?

AZJ0SH

I have had Ziggy since May 2011, he was 2 months old when I purchased him, which would make him about a year old. His sire was a "Blue" veiled from FLChams, and I figured he Ziggy would get some blues as well, but I understand there are no guarantees.

Most of the time he is a medium green, as I see with most other cham owners. At night when he sleeps he does turn a very bright yellow color, with lime green and somewhat turquoise stripes, but those colors rarely show during the day. He does fire up every now and then during the day, but it's never as bright as when he sleeps, and not nearly as bright as his sire (see link in signature)

One thing I thought of was that the back panel of his enclosure is a forrest green, I am working on a new enclosure and using a much lighter blue for the backboard this time around, do you think that will help with his colors? I know they don't match their backgrounds, but in another thread I saw someone mention they will sometimes adapt to their environmental colors?

Thanks.

That's Ringo dad as well! LOL anyways right now he's 2-3 months old and after his shed he's stayed a solid dark green. When he gets unhappy he gets dark DARK green with black stripes and yellow spots. But I dont really know the answer to your question, just wanted to say we have sons of that father lol

That's Ringo dad as well! LOL anyways right now he's 2-3 months old and after his shed he's stayed a solid dark green. When he gets unhappy he gets dark DARK green with black stripes and yellow spots. But I dont really know the answer to your question, just wanted to say we have sons of that father lol

That's awesome! I was wondering how many other people on here had chams from this sire. When mine was the age of yours he stayed a dark green most of the time as well, mine never had yellow spots though.

I'm hoping to be able to breed our female, Angel, and Ringo when they come of age. She has a teal color with white spots when shes happy. Have a local pet store that all he does is sell reptiles and see if he'll buy the babies off of us when that time comes (and if we are still in the area). But more than likely I'll fall in love with the babies and wont want to sell them lol. But thats still another year in a half yet lol

I'm hoping to be able to breed our female, Angel, and Ringo when they come of age. She has a teal color with white spots when shes happy. Have a local pet store that all he does is sell reptiles and see if he'll buy the babies off of us when that time comes (and if we are still in the area). But more than likely I'll fall in love with the babies and wont want to sell them lol. But thats still another year in a half yet lol

Let me know if you breed, I might be interested in taking one of your hands. Ziggy is my first chameleon, but I am moving into a house this November and hoping to have a room dedicated to my reptiles, even my wife is getting addicted to the reptiles, especially the chameleons.

He should have gotten them more at about 6-7 months of age. Do you want to post a photo so we know what you're seeing? And maybe fill out the help form as well, perhaps there is something making him unhappy that we can help pin-point. I don't know if it's cold where you live, but is he the same outside in the sunshine?

He should have gotten them more at about 6-7 months of age. Do you want to post a photo so we know what you're seeing? And maybe fill out the help form as well, perhaps there is something making him unhappy that we can help pin-point. I don't know if it's cold where you live, but is he the same outside in the sunshine?

He's never been outside of his enclosure. I know the setup I have is fine, I have posted for help in the past using the help form and was told everything was perfect. I am about to move him into a larger enclosure, with more lighting, which I am hoping will help somewhat.

can you post a photo of him please?

I can take a few when I get home this afternoon, most of the time is a medium green color, with some lighter green stripes. I will see if i can get one when he gets some treats today, he usually gets pretty bright when he gets his treats on Fridays.

He also seems a little on the small side compared to what I have seen others post.

I found two pictures I took last week with my phone, not the best quality but this should help for now:

First one was him sleeping:

91eMD.jpg

Second is during the day, normal colors not fired up:

jHCjv.jpg

hehehe.

if you want to see your chameleon light up, ya gotta piss him off or show him a lady.

has he seen your female?

try holding him in front of a mirror, that should get him pretty riled up.

if that dosnt work then... idk.

ive also had male panthers color dramatically change after being mated for the first time. i dont ever recall this happening with any of my veileds.

are you sure hes a he btw?

edit* you posted the pics while i was writing that :p yeah thats a he. and i dont think youll be getting the blues you were hoping for thats a pretty common coloration and pattern. he is a bit on the dull side with the lights on. he should brighten up a bit if you show him to himself, or get him with your female. they can put on quite a show.

that is definetly a boy. girls dont get yellow bars like that,

also, thats what hes gonna look like.

tere are no other colors hes supposed to get.

the colors may get brighter or he may get a bit more black on his head...
but other than that.. thats what you get.

"He also seems a little on the small side compared to what I have seen others post."

yeah if his head is any indication his body does look a bit small in comparison. maybe he wasnt getting fed enough? or maybe hes just a runt.

take a pic of him on your arm please.

i can then compare him to my male is is just over 1 year old.

agreed that is the basic color combination but i have seen them with a lot of turquoise before. some are a lot more green than others, some a lot more yellow and some a lot more orange (i had one with an almost brick red orange) the blues are much less common but you see a little of it here and there. and then rarely ones that are incredibly blue.

agreed that is the basic color combination but i have seen them with a lot of turquoise before. some are a lot more green than others, some a lot more yellow and some a lot more orange (i had one with an almost brick red orange) the blues are much less common but you see a little of it here and there. and then rarely ones that are incredibly blue.

yea. but for the most part, what he has is what he gets. the color base might change, brighten, get duller, get bluer/greener/yellower, etc. but he is what he is.

Well I figured since the sire was a special blue veiled, and I paid more for that, that he would get some blues, otherwise it was an extra $50 wasted. The colors aren't really a big deal, I was just expecting more.

"He also seems a little on the small side compared to what I have seen others post."

yeah if his head is any indication his body does look a bit small in comparison. maybe he wasnt getting fed enough? or maybe hes just a runt.

His body is only about 5-6" long, not including the tail.

take a pic of him on your arm please.

i can then compare him to my male is is just over 1 year old.

He won't let me handle him, I have tried since I first got him. I might give it a try again today, but usually he just gets dark and moves away from me. I don't want to grab him, but if I needed to get him out for any reason, is there a safe way to pick him up without hurting him?

Well I figured since the sire was a special blue veiled, and I paid more for that, that he would get some blues, otherwise it was an extra $50 wasted. The colors aren't really a big deal, I was just expecting more.

His body is only about 5-6" long, not including the tail.

He won't let me handle him, I have tried since I first got him. I might give it a try again today, but usually he just gets dark and moves away from me. I don't want to grab him, but if I needed to get him out for any reason, is there a safe way to pick him up without hurting him?

we always hope the sons get the colors of the fathers, but its really a genetic roulette. he might get more blues as he gets older. but hes never going to be blue like a panther.
and that length sounds about right for a 1 year old.

to get him out. you can slide on hand under his head, and use your other hand to gently push his butt so he climbs on your hand.

we always hope the sons get the colors of the fathers, but its really a genetic roulette. he might get more blues as he gets older. but hes never going to be blue like a panther.
and that length sounds about right for a 1 year old.

to get him out. you can slide on hand under his head, and use your other hand to gently push his butt so he climbs on your hand.

yeah put you fingers under his neck, apply slight pressure on his front legs, he will either grab ahold of you or start backing upif thats the case have your other hand under the base of his tail near his vent, he will have to go one way or the other.

Back
Top Bottom