when do I worry about her - now 139/140 gram Jax

little leaf

Avid Member
ugh Olive is now 139/140 grams - she is really getting very big, and after what happened with the poor preg/ rescue ( death from "Overburden" is what the vet called it ) I am REALLY getting worried - should I just take and have her spayed ? I dont care if she can never have babies again ( I almost prefer it! ) I am going to take her for X rays again ( here are her last ones - https://www.chameleonforums.com/olives-x-ray-i-hope-i-dont-see-what-i-think-i-see-113315/ ) if she does not do something by the end of next week - or am I just being to nervous because of what happened w/ the other one ? :eek: this pic is even w/ part of her tail on the floor- and she is starting to act like breathing is going to be an issue soon -any advise please :( it's all I can do to not cry when I look at her, and how uncomfortable she is getting - I have never bred her - but she did have babies in March -

* also her edema is back

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 129
I would be worrying now. She could be unable to get the babies out. Since she does not lay eggs, rather has live babies I don't know much about it. I would mostly be back to the vet for another X-ray. But it may be too soon to be able to see any difference from the last X-ray. Keep us informed as we don't get this problem with live birth, and I would like to learn what you do.

I think surgery sounds more risky, personally. As a general rule I would say that no one knows what to do better than she does - she has evolved to be perfectly suited to being gravid and giving birth to the babies, and since she's in pretty great health I don't think she's going to be taxed too much by this. Nothing like a sickly, highy-stressed female would be, for example.

And on the other hand it's a big deal to be cut open and have your uterus removed. Reptiles heal slowly, and that's a very sensitive area to take weeks to heal.

It's up to you, but if she were mine I would let her do her thing, naturally. Taking x-rays can't hurt, to monitor how things are going, but I don't think it's a cause for panic yet.

I am posting here more for moral support since I don't have any experience breeding or caring for a pregnant cham, but Olimpia's post makes a lot of sense to me.

I googled eggbound jackson and did not find much. Since she is a live bearer, is that a common problem? I assumed that most cases of egg bound females is due to an inadequate laying bin, which wouldn't be an issue with Olive.

I hope everything is resolved soon and you come home to new babies in the cage :) I will try to convince her to lay her eggs when I visit tomorrow :)

I would be worrying now. She could be unable to get the babies out. Since she does not lay eggs, rather has live babies I don't know much about it. I would mostly be back to the vet for another X-ray. But it may be too soon to be able to see any difference from the last X-ray. Keep us informed as we don't get this problem with live birth, and I would like to learn what you do.

you bet !!

I think surgery sounds more risky, personally. As a general rule I would say that no one knows what to do better than she does - she has evolved to be perfectly suited to being gravid and giving birth to the babies, and since she's in pretty great health I don't think she's going to be taxed too much by this. Nothing like a sickly, highy-stressed female would be, for example.

And on the other hand it's a big deal to be cut open and have your uterus removed. Reptiles heal slowly, and that's a very sensitive area to take weeks to heal.

It's up to you, but if she were mine I would let her do her thing, naturally. Taking x-rays can't hurt, to monitor how things are going, but I don't think it's a cause for panic yet.

Thanks Olimpia, I agree, the last thing I would want to do is surgery - I know it carries a high risk - and like you said, she has done this before, and I know messing with the natural way of things can cause more issues than I may have started with - and she is a healthy girl - I just feel like I should be doing more for her- but I guess sometimes the best thing is time - I just wanted to be sure that was the right thing - nothing - :eek: - I feel better now that I read your advice - Thank you !!

I am posting here more for moral support since I don't have any experience breeding or caring for a pregnant cham, but Olimpia's post makes a lot of sense to me.

I googled eggbound jackson and did not find much. Since she is a live bearer, is that a common problem? I assumed that most cases of egg bound females is due to an inadequate laying bin, which wouldn't be an issue with Olive.

I hope everything is resolved soon and you come home to new babies in the cage :) I will try to convince her to lay her eggs when I visit tomorrow :)

HA ! if she has babies while you are here- you will be leaving with more than one baby ;) :p thanks for the support, and no teasing Olive about her weight - she is in a " feminine way " :p

Thanks guys - I will sit tight, and keep you posted

I know it can be nerve wrecking! I know, I love my girlie Azura, but any time I start freaking out about her reproductive issues I turn out to be wrong and she is cool as a cucumber, has everything handled. So all I have to do usually is keep a watchful eye on her, make sure she keeps looking healthy, alert, and strong.

And we would never say anything about her maternal curves! ;)

I know it can be nerve wrecking! I know, I love my girlie Azura, but any time I start freaking out about her reproductive issues I turn out to be wrong and she is cool as a cucumber, has everything handled. So all I have to do usually is keep a watchful eye on her, make sure she keeps looking healthy, alert, and strong.

And we would never say anything about her maternal curves! ;)

Thanks , I really do feel better when someone tells me I am doing the right thing, just sitting tight :eek:

Oliver, on the other hand is must really love the look of "the glow" on Olive - he he is so worked up now he tried to breed a horn worm !!!! :eek: :p

Back
Top Bottom