When can veiled chameleons eat pinky mice ?

As with any animal they are opportunists and will eat almost anything small enough that moves when living in the wild. Witnessing them eat mammals and birds in nature doesn't mean they should, it just means that there likely wasn't a large amount insects available at the time. They never know when the next meal is coming in nature and may have to go months without much nutrition. Fortunately we have the ability to supply them with insects year round so that shouldn't be a problem. Also a pinkie mouse has almost no nutrition because the bones are still not fully formed and they are rarely nursed by the mother before feeding off. They are one big piece of fat.

I wouldnt feed the veiled cham pinky mice,next thing u know ,gerbils, hamster,finches will be all on the menu,and you will just end up with a big fat dead veiled that you regret to feed him that first pinky mice,try silkworm,dubia roach,superworm and he will thank and love you later:)

Omnivores eat insects, plants and meats, it isn't a matter of being hungry enough. Almost any feeder animals available are going to be lacking in nutrients just because of how they are raised, not because of what they are. In this case pinky mice no matter what will pretty much be fat.

My cham was fed a pinkie ONCE, not by me either, but by the LPS where she came from. im surprised she does not have any heath issues from it now. Pinkies are to high in fat and can cause fatty liver disease. Just a helpful tip.. not trying to be rude, and sorry if it sounded like it.
One feeding is not going to lead to a chronic illness

If you have access to bugs and proper things that are good for the Cham than feed him good why give him something not good for him just because you can say your Cham ate a mouse this is not the wild and you can give him proper feeders be a wise keeper

"Be a wise keeper" is excellent advice.

Pinky mice are nothing but fat and too much protein. There's no reason to feed pinkies to chams when there are so many other, much better feeders available. If you want to add something new to his diet, try a new insect like a mantis or a new type of roach.

Don't be that guy who does dumb things because he thinks it's "cool". Be a wise keeper.

Pinky mice are nothing but fat and too much protein. There's no reason to feed pinkies to chams when there are so many other, much better feeders available. If you want to add something new to his diet, try a new insect like a mantis or a new type of roach.

Don't be that guy who does dumb things because he thinks it's "cool". Be a wise keeper.
Like I said lol don't be that guy go get a snake if u want to see a reptile eat a mouse lol

In the wild Veileds have been observed eating other lizards smaller then them, bird eggs and yes mice they aren't picky. Some live in a climate that does not see rain in years. And also the temps at night would go below freezing. Large Panthers also have been observed eating little chicks in the nest. These guys will eat pinkies to mice to obtain protein. It is not their staple diet but they size it up and if the glove fits..I personally feed my guys a pinkie a month along with gol. worms gut loaded cricets with fruit and trader joes baby food. Also once a week I like to give them pedisure water for electrolytes.

Where have you gathered that pinky mice, baby food, and pedisure is a good idea to feed any chameleon? Properly gutloaded and verity of insects along with proper dusting will provide everything needed health wise and more than what your doing.

Taken from the Food and Nutrition section of the Resource tab at top of page:

"Vertebrates (pinkies, lizards, etc.) are not a notable part of a chameleon's normal diet in the wild. Too many animal proteins in the diet of an animal that's not a carnivore can wreak havoc on their kidneys leading to kidney damage and gout due the difference in protein breakdown. Everything your chameleon needs can be obtained through an all-insect diet with good gutloading and supplementation"

so which is it? nothing but fat means little or no protein ?
and if its chock full of protein and fat an occasional one is perfectly okay unless there is another reason....skeleton? size? etc.

so which is it? nothing but fat means little or no protein ?
and if its chock full of protein and fat an occasional one is perfectly okay unless there is another reason....skeleton? size? etc.

Missing the forest for the trees...

This has been covered ad nauseum. It's like that rumor that always goes around in grade school about your blood being blue until it hits the air. It's not true, but good luck arguing it with an eight year old.

Back
Top Bottom