When can I feed my chameleon fruits and veggies?

Ivy2020

Hello everyone, I am just wondering when can I feed my veiled chameleon fruits and veggies? I am a first time chameleon owner and I heard that you are supposed to feed your chameleon insects when they are young. However, I've had my chameleon for 2 months now (I do not know her exact age as I got her from petco) but she is pretty big now. Does any one have any advice? Thank you.

You feed the insects veggies and leafy greens, and a little fruit. You chameleon is an insectivore and doesnt need plant matter. In fact, i have read that they cannot digest it.

If you have a veiled it may occassionally nibble on its plants, and you can offer a leaf of kale or a blueberry once in a while, but it is not neccassary. In fact, some suggest against it.

Since it's a female it will likely eat things like pothos that may be in her cage....so make sure your plants are real, non toxic and well washed bothe sides of the leaves. She may also try to eat substrate in her laybin and plant soil. Does she have a laybin in her cage?

All want to see photos.

Attachments

• 20200725_175121.jpg
    20200725_175121.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 125
  • 20200725_174542.jpg
    20200725_174542.jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 130
  • 20200725_173757.jpg
    20200725_173757.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 123
Since it's a female it will likely eat things like pothos that may be in her cage....so make sure your plants are real, non toxic and well washed bothe sides of the leaves. She may also try to eat substrate in her laybin and plant soil. Does she have a laybin in her cage?

All want to see photos.
Yeah she sure loves her pothos plant. She does have a lay bin.

You feed the insects veggies and leafy greens, and a little fruit. You chameleon is an insectivore and doesnt need plant matter. In fact, i have read that they cannot digest it.

If you have a veiled it may occassionally nibble on its plants, and you can offer a leaf of kale or a blueberry once in a while, but it is not neccassary. In fact, some suggest against it.
This was very informative, thank you so much!

It appears you need a T5HO light bar as the coil bulb your currently have are inadequate for chameleons.
The light bar should span the entire length of the enclosure. It will also help add some light some to the other places in there. It looks awfully dark.

It appears you need a T5HO light bar as the coil bulb your currently have are inadequate for chameleons.
The light bar should span the entire length of the enclosure. It will also help add some light some to the other places in there. It looks awfully dark.
You're right. I have an 18" t5 light at the moment (hard to see in photo) but it does not reach the entire cage. I went to my reptile store today, but they were out of stock for 36". I might have to buy online.

You're right. I have an 18" t5 light at the moment (hard to see in photo) but it does not reach the entire cage. I went to my reptile store today, but they were out of stock for 36". I might have to buy online.
I do see it now that you said that. You will want to get a longer one, but its a good thing you do have one. Lol

How hot is your basking area? seems that long stick in the middle of the pics goes right to the top, just under the lamp. Should be 6 to 9 inches down. Just don't want your cham to get a burn

Hello everyone, I am just wondering when can I feed my veiled chameleon fruits and veggies? I am a first time chameleon owner and I heard that you are supposed to feed your chameleon insects when they are young. However, I've had my chameleon for 2 months now (I do not know her exact age as I got her from petco) but she is pretty big now. Does any one have any advice? Thank you.

I would feed them fruits after they ate their crickets. I feed my chameleons watermelon, cantaloupe, grapes(they love grapes), bananas and the obvious greens. Its good for their diet. Take say a half of a grape then cut that in half and squish it a little. I would give each one a half a grape. Use that serving size for everything fruit and vegetable aside from greens. I would give a little more greens. When your chameleon gets older start giving them superworms in their diet as you will see it helps them poop better. Not the mealworms the superworms.
I give my chameleons fruits about every three days. I load my crickets with mainly carrots but potatoes are good too but no where near as much as carrots. Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom