When can I feed my baby different things?

KingLoki729

Hello everyone, I’ve been posting a lot since I found this site, but it’s just that I don’t trust what I see about chameleon care online because 90% of the time it’s different from the next site and incorrect. Anyways I have a baby female veiled who I got at about 1 month old so now she is approximately 2 months old. (I’ll post pictures from then to now). And I was just wondering if I could start feeding her wax worms or very small horn worms now or if that’s something I should wait to do until she’s older.

Attachments

• 5EF1865F-1961-49CA-BFA1-71B1143DCF94.jpeg
    5EF1865F-1961-49CA-BFA1-71B1143DCF94.jpeg
    91.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 5EEC95BF-97E2-404B-ACBE-1BA36F632489.jpeg
    5EEC95BF-97E2-404B-ACBE-1BA36F632489.jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 78
You are wise to question the majority of care guidelines thru various sites on line. However, here we do follow consistent basic husbandry guidelines that have been proven so far to be the best. For the most accurate, comprehensive and current information, https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-basics/ is beyond compare. Bill Strand, who has created the site and also is the producer of Dragon Strand products has been a leader in the chameleon community. Some forum members are also out there spreading correct info, such as https://caskabove.com/ and Neptune the chameleon on YouTube.
Now, to answer your question...yes! You can absolutely start feeding her a variety of feeders. You just need to make sure that they are the appropriate size for her. The rule of thumb is anything larger than the space between her eyes is too big. Wax worms are very fatty, so should only be given sparingly as treats. Hornworms tend to grow very quickly so I wouldn’t buy more than a couple at a time. These are also good for treats and as they are essentially bags of water, great for hydration. Try to hand feed them though as they have quite a grip on branches and we don’t want your beautiful baby girl to hurt her tongue. Bsfl are super great to add as a staple, as are silkworms and roaches. You could also get a mantis ooth and let it hatch in her enclosure and she’ll have fun hunting them all down as they hatch. I’m attaching the feeder and the gutloading graphics for you.
You need to keep your feeders well fed so that they will provide more nutrition. Things such as the orange cubes will keep crickets alive for a bit, but have little to no nutritive value.
Although you have a few months before you need to start thinking about it, your little honey will lay infertile eggs and will need a lay bin eventually. Correct husbandry is all the more important for the girls because of this. As she’s nearing 5 months old, just say the word and we’ll be more than happy to help you get prepared for her laying and ways to help reduce laying.
7A1CCC4E-ECE1-465F-85D2-D175082EE840.jpeg
AAB4CD6F-B90C-4560-9EDA-2FDC5D49B18C.jpeg

You are wise to question the majority of care guidelines thru various sites on line. However, here we do follow consistent basic husbandry guidelines that have been proven so far to be the best. For the most accurate, comprehensive and current information, https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-basics/ is beyond compare. Bill Strand, who has created the site and also is the producer of Dragon Strand products has been a leader in the chameleon community. Some forum members are also out there spreading correct info, such as https://caskabove.com/ and Neptune the chameleon on YouTube.
Now, to answer your question...yes! You can absolutely start feeding her a variety of feeders. You just need to make sure that they are the appropriate size for her. The rule of thumb is anything larger than the space between her eyes is too big. Wax worms are very fatty, so should only be given sparingly as treats. Hornworms tend to grow very quickly so I wouldn’t buy more than a couple at a time. These are also good for treats and as they are essentially bags of water, great for hydration. Try to hand feed them though as they have quite a grip on branches and we don’t want your beautiful baby girl to hurt her tongue. Bsfl are super great to add as a staple, as are silkworms and roaches. You could also get a mantis ooth and let it hatch in her enclosure and she’ll have fun hunting them all down as they hatch. I’m attaching the feeder and the gutloading graphics for you.
You need to keep your feeders well fed so that they will provide more nutrition. Things such as the orange cubes will keep crickets alive for a bit, but have little to no nutritive value.
Although you have a few months before you need to start thinking about it, your little honey will lay infertile eggs and will need a lay bin eventually. Correct husbandry is all the more important for the girls because of this. As she’s nearing 5 months old, just say the word and we’ll be more than happy to help you get prepared for her laying and ways to help reduce laying.
View attachment 300513View attachment 300514
Thank you so much there’s just one thing, she does not trust me at all and won’t eat out of my hand :)

Thank you so much there’s just one thing, she does not trust me at all and won’t eat out of my hand :)
Well, this would be a great way to start earning some trust. Hold your hand with the yummy worm out where she can see and get to without invading her space and then wait. Move slowly and make sure you have support for your arm...it may take a bit of time.

Back
Top Bottom