What's Your Vet Emergency Resource Fund Amount?

WilcoxAE

Established Member
Hey guys and gals,

As I am sure you all have had experience with, as with any pet before investing in one, it's wise to have a fund set aside for emergencies. Such as trips to the vet, medications, etc. Or do you know of pet insurances that cover chammis?

What's ya'lls average rainy day fund and how many chams does that cover? This might be helpful for newer people or even experienced keepers that have been fortunate enough not to need a vet.

Thanks ya'll!

I just kidnap local cats that I catch in my yard and wait for the reward fliers to be posted around the neighborhood!!! :eek:

Seriously however that's like asking how much money to keep aside for unexpected auto repairs, most people don't and you never know when it will happen (but you know it will )

We don't really have a fund set aside. We just take it out of savings when the need arises. I think $300 would be the max we would set aside per year for our one chameleon, but I'm sure we'd budge on that if need be.

I'd say we spent about $180 in the first year of owning our chameleon. This was for one physical exam, a fecal, and several repeat visits for a health issue. Since we've stopped treating the health issue, our vet recommends an annual (at most) physical and fecal, so maybe $60-$80/year? I feel that our vet is pretty reasonable, especially for follow-up visits.

I like to keep between $300 and $500 in the Ferdinand Fund. Not only for vet visits but for other supplies as well, including feeders. If my mister were to go out, I need to replace UV bulbs, etc, it's easier to have the reserve than wait until I get paid again. I've been very lucky with vet visits - the Ferds has been very healthy, but it makes me feel better to have that money set aside, just in case. If I had a female cham, I would probably double my reserve.

Back
Top Bottom