What's wrong with this Chameleon?

RoyalPython555

Please note this animal does not belong to me. I was cleaning him out as his viv was filthy. He can't be handled because he just wants to bite your face off and I'm pretty sure hes showing signs of MBD and has abscesses on his face. The owner will not listen to me on his care, I've told them that their chameleon needs to see a vet. The chameleon spends most of its time on the floor of the viv huddled up in a corner.

He is not in good shape. MBD, possible mouth rot -- his poor casque. If your friend won't listen -- that is very sad. This chameleon needs a vet. Veileds are notoriously grumpy -- but if he's in pain he'll be even more so.

Steal him and take him to a vet.

I agree ^^. Can't see all of it but his cage seems very bare. After he is treated for that infection and malnutrition he would like more branches and plants to feel more secure and possibly less grumpy.

He is not in good shape. MBD, possible mouth rot -- his poor casque. If your friend won't listen -- that is very sad. This chameleon needs a vet. Veileds are notoriously grumpy -- but if he's in pain he'll be even more so.

Steal him and take him to a vet.

It's abit difficult for me to steal him, he's owned by my mum's partner so I'd be in alot of trouble. I keep telling him to just get it looked at in the hope he will and the vet tells him it's in such poor condition. I'm planning on showing him what people that know about chameleons say hoping that he will listen. He's got the kind if attitude that if it dies it dies and doesn't seem to care.

Have him read this:

This is a sick chameleon. He is sick, likely, due to his poor husbandry. This poor chameleon, if he is staying at the bottom of the cage, is probably in too much pain to climb.

He is in a corner because he does not feel safe. Chameleons this sick in the wild are easy prey.

If he does not get treatment he will die a painful death.

Last edited:
It's abit difficult for me to steal him, he's owned by my mum's partner so I'd be in alot of trouble. I keep telling him to just get it looked at in the hope he will and the vet tells him it's in such poor condition. I'm planning on showing him what people that know about chameleons say hoping that he will listen. He's got the kind if attitude that if it dies it dies and doesn't seem to care.
This makes me sad. That poor boy!

Please note this animal does not belong to me. I was cleaning him out as his viv was filthy. He can't be handled because he just wants to bite your face off and I'm pretty sure hes showing signs of MBD and has abscesses on his face. The owner will not listen to me on his care, I've told them that their chameleon needs to see a vet. The chameleon spends most of its time on the floor of the viv huddled up in a corner.

What’s wrong with him is his keeper.

Thank you everyone for replying. I will show him this fingers crossed he listens. I have a Royal python and a bearded dragon myself and they are both in top condition. The dragon was a rescue and was super skinny when given to me. Yes given for free with his viv. He had no decent heat, only a hot rock, no UV and was living on a diet of tomato and cucumber only. He was a dull brown when I got him but now he's bright orange, fat, happy dragon.

It's abit difficult for me to steal him, he's owned by my mum's partner so I'd be in alot of trouble.

just curious how old you are? If your an adult you can’t get in “trouble”. Sure you might make your mom mad but she should be mad that her partner doesn’t care about a living creature that is his responsibility to take care of.

He's got the kind if attitude that if it dies it dies and doesn't seem to care.

if he doesn’t care if it dies then he shouldn’t care if you take him to get helped.

just curious how old you are? If your an adult you can’t get in “trouble”. Sure you might make your mom mad but she should be mad that her partner doesn’t care about a living creature that is his responsibility to take care of.

if he doesn’t care if it dies then he shouldn’t care if you take him to get helped.

I'm 21 but I have a lot of medical issues at the moment that stops me working so I really don't have the money myself to pay for treatment for the chameleon (I imagine it would be in the hundreds). I'd do it but I'd struggle to feed all my own animals for the rest of the month. It's rare anything of my own gets sick because I'm always on top of the husbandry. Also I don't have the best relationship ever with my mum, she don't live with me and I'd really hate to make things worse. Really I can only try to convince the owner to take his own animal to the vet

I'm 21 but I have a lot of medical issues at the moment that stops me working so I really don't have the money myself to pay for treatment for the chameleon (I imagine it would be in the hundreds). I'd do it but I'd struggle to feed all my own animals for the rest of the month. It's rare anything of my own gets sick because I'm always on top of the husbandry. Also I don't have the best relationship ever with my mum, she don't live with me and I'd really hate to make things worse. Really I can only try to convince the owner to take his own animal to the vet

I am sorry about your health issues.

Where do you live friend? I can see if there is a reptile rescue near you -- they are sparse but there is one in my town. Maybe that is an option for this guy.

ah sry to hear this. Yes it would be expensive and with how bad of shape he’s in I don’t even know where a vet would start. All you can do is try to convince his owner to get him help. Even with vet care they would have to fix Their husbandry. Failing that the only option would be euthanasia

I am sorry about your health issues.

Where do you live friend? I can see if there is a reptile rescue near you -- they are sparse but there is one in my town. Maybe that is an option for this guy.
This is a great idea! I hope someone can help.

Back
Top Bottom