Whats wrong?please help :(

Pygmy chameleon

Established Member
My boys front leg problem just started or just came out yesterday night. He has very strong grip,doesnt seem in pain still eating and drinking and trying to climb .my boy just feels for a while before he grips onto something.can anyone help? I really doubt its mbd
image.jpeg

It looks like a pretty bad case of MBD. Which means this has been happening for a while. But he could have fallen and broken it making it worse. Otherwise if your supplementing is up to par I would lean more toward a fracture from a fall that was caused by an awkward reach or something. I definitely recommend filling out the form Nursemaia mentioned.

It looks like a pretty bad case of MBD. Which means this has been happening for a while. But he could have fallen and broken it making it worse. Otherwise if your supplementing is up to par I would lean more toward a fracture from a fall that was caused by an awkward reach or something. I definitely recommend filling out the form Nursemaia mentioned.
If you fill out the how to ask for help form we can help you
Can't really tell from your picture but doesn't his leg look a bit like the ones in this thread? https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...-like-how-it-happens-and-how-to-fix-it.95071/
I hope I'm wrong and someone has a better idea.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - male panther 1 year old been in my care since he was 2 months
  • Handling - only when necessary
  • Feeding -superworms occasionally crickets hornworms gut loading is vegetables likegreens carrots cricket gel
  • Supplements - no d3 every feeding and d3 every other sunday just started a multivitamin.
  • Watering - mistking every 2 hours for 30 seconds
  • Fecal Description - never been tested for parasites dark brown poop with white urate .
  • History -

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - glass exo terra
  • Lighting - uvb and uva on from 6:45 to around 8
  • Plants - one live plant an umbrella
  • Placement -on my dresser high off the floor located close to a window
  • Location - Quebec,Canada

Current Problem - leg problems.

Okay guys so what do u do with a cham with mbd? Ill do literally anything to get him better before its too Late. He meand the workd to me!

Okay guys so what do u do with a cham with mbd? Ill do literally anything to get him better before its too Late. He means the world to me!

How old are your dusting supplements? Like when did you open them? I personally replace my supplements around 6-8 months after opening. I agree getting a vet appointment is necessary at this point. Xray is strongly recommended just to make sure none of his other bones are affected. Liquid calcium should probably be prescribed whether it's just a random break or mbd. I don't think it's possible to splint chameleon legs unless it's multiple legs at once. Liquid calcium will often help it heal well enough on it's own. Good luck for you and your little buddy <3 Keep us updated ^^

How old are your dusting supplements? Like when did you open them? I personally replace my supplements around 6-8 months after opening. I agree getting a vet appointment is necessary at this point. Xray is strongly recommended just to make sure none of his other bones are affected. Liquid calcium should probably be prescribed whether it's just a random break or mbd. I don't think it's possible to splint chameleon legs unless it's multiple legs at once. Liquid calcium will often help it heal well enough on it's own. Good luck for you and your little buddy <3 Keep us updated ^^
My supplements are a few months old.Honestly i really dont think its MBD it only started yesterday he seemed normal when i took him out to clean a few days ago.any ways im gonna look for a good vet that can give me answers and hopefully a cure. Will keep you guys updated thanks again!

A picture of the entire chameleon would be helpful as MBD won't manifest on a single limb. If it is not MBD, the likelihood of an infection or serious injury is high. If his grip his strong, an acute fracture is unlikely, so that leaves an infection or MBD as your likely scenarios.

Okay guys so what do u do with a cham with mbd? Ill do literally anything to get him better before its too Late. He means the world to me!

You take him to a vet and the vet guides the treatment.

I can't imagine a limb with so many fractures/folds to be anything other than MBD unless someone held that leg and worked very hard to snap the bones in so many places. There are many diseases of the bone with many root causes that are under the label of MBD. They are broken into two main categories--Nutritional and Non-Nutritional Metabolic Bone Disease. Renal failure is the cause of Non-Nutritional Metabolic Bone Disease. Lack of calcium and Vitamin D3 (derived either from the diet or from proper UVB lighting) are the root cause of Nutritional MBD.

A picture of the entire chameleon would be helpful as MBD won't manifest on a single limb. If it is not MBD, the likelihood of an infection or serious injury is high. If his grip his strong, an acute fracture is unlikely, so that leaves an infection or MBD as your likely scenarios.
You take him to a vet and the vet guides the treatment.

I can't imagine a limb with so many fractures/folds to be anything other than MBD unless someone held that leg and worked very hard to snap the bones in so many places. There are many diseases of the bone with many root causes that are under the label of MBD. They are broken into two main categories--Nutritional and Non-Nutritional Metabolic Bone Disease. Renal failure is the cause of Non-Nutritional Metabolic Bone Disease. Lack of calcium and Vitamin D3 (derived either from the diet or from proper UVB lighting) are the root cause of Nutritional MBD.
Hes going to a vet. Hopefully i get answers and a cure.will keep you updated thanks.

Back
Top Bottom