Whats the difference between t.q gracilior and t.q Quadricornis?

Now Im stumped:confused: I was trying to pick between the quad or gracilior as my next species, but now I dont know which I like better! I really like the large sail on the quad but the red claws are really nice also:unsure:

Now Im stumped:confused: I was trying to pick between the quad or gracilior as my next species, but now I dont know which I like better! I really like the large sail on the quad but the red claws are really nice also:unsure:

Not all quads have tall sail fins. Some are spectacular but it isn't common in my experience. Some of the graciliors have tall sail fins.

You could get one of each! I have baby quads and graciliors ready to go now.

20161106_095749.jpg

20161106_135249.jpg

Last but not least is the color of the claws. Quads have horn-colored nails while graciliors have nails ranging from almost dark purple to rose. Babies do not show colored claws--it takes time to develop color. Here is an interesting picture of a young female who had one half of her hand with dark red nails and the other half with lighter rose colored nails. The red is blood and comes and goes depending on the age, health and mood. As you can see in the below picture, each toe is independent of the others on the same hand. I can never get a photo to show up as dark red as they appear in real life. Perhaps @Chris Anderson would post his fantastic red nail picture he has. You can see the red nails on the female pictured above as well.
View attachment 170823

@Chris Anderson Can I talk you into posting your fabulous red gracilior claw photo? Pretty please! My photos never show how really stunning the red claws are.

No problem. Here's the photo you're referring to:

5520486348_b8122c0487_o.jpg

This image is of a male Trioceros quadricornis gracilior photographed on Mount Oku, Northwest Region, Cameroon.

Chris

No problem. Here's the photo you're referring to:

5520486348_b8122c0487_o.jpg

This image is of a male Trioceros quadricornis gracilior photographed on Mount Oku, Northwest Region, Cameroon.

Chris

Thank you Chris. I love that photo. I have many with claws that spectacular but I can never get it to show up in a photo. I feel my phone looses enough pixels between my phone, computer and sending it off on the internet.

Your photo shows the yellow tips well, too. I find that little splash of yellow at the end is sometimes the first I see in a nail starting to develop its red.

Do you have a photo of this animal so I can put his claws together with his body colors? I have a theory about which colors of animals have the deepest red claws.

@jajeanpierre. Janet I know you love your Q. Gracilior, and rightfully so! But I don't think you shed the best light on the Q. Quads:

Respectfully,
Bob

Thanks for adding those great pictures, Bob.

@bobcochran is the third male (fourth picture)--the yellow one--an import or did you breed him? Is that his normal relaxed coloring with that much black on his body? I have a female very much like him. I noticed in the May import the quads were really really yellow and wondered about it. One of the breeders in Europe told me the pale white ones were from central Cameroon. I wondered about the yellow ones.

I'm so glad you were able to show the really pretty robins' egg blue on their backs and their pretty greens. My pictures didn't do the quad males any justice. It wasn't intentional--I wasn't trying to show them in a bad light to show of the graciliors even though the graciliors really have stolen my heart. Adult male graciliors are much easier to get good pictures of than quads, that's for sure. I seem to only have horrible pictures of my quad males. They are in Dragonstrand cages with the top front panel which makes it impossible to just open the door and take a picture.

I was using those bad pictures to try to show the things I find different between quad quads and graciliors, like the shape of the casque.

I just can't get a good picture of my quad males. The young breeding male looks ugly in pictures but he really isn't. He's actually really quite pretty but by the time I get the phone in the cage, he's royally ticked off and looking really grumpy and ugly. It doesn't help he had a lot of damage to his horns at import so they are rounded and he took forever to start growing his second set, I think because of the damage. ShenLong, a.k.a. "He Who Would Not Die" is a mess although he is looking fantastic lately. I have another "Nubby" in the little 4.4g baby I bought out of the May, 2016, import who is now about 40g. He's starting to grow four of his horns, but they are really four round balls he's growing so he won't have a pretty face. My fourth male is lent out. I keep them in DragonStrands with a top front panel which makes it impossible to just open the door and take a picture.

I do like the unexpected surprises of color the graciliors give. They are always different.

I didn't even touch on the females. I just LOVE quad females. They are big and calm and very engaging.

Here is my favorite quad male, TianLong. This is the only good picture of him. He's on loan and I'll get him back soon when I have some cage space.

imagejpeg_0.jpg

And my favorite quad female displaying for a male:

20151102_153602.jpg

20151102_153642.jpg

And another female Quad just being beautiful:
20160222_170245.jpg

I hope you have a nice blue back male quad to breed with your favorite female-she shows some really nice blue!
And yes, you are absolutely correct about the female quads. They are so calm and such pigs, they could be mistaken as "friendly".

You know I'm still looking for some potentially blue back quads to breed into Nubby's line. Keep me in mind.

Thank you Chris. I love that photo. I have many with claws that spectacular but I can never get it to show up in a photo. I feel my phone looses enough pixels between my phone, computer and sending it off on the internet.

Your photo shows the yellow tips well, too. I find that little splash of yellow at the end is sometimes the first I see in a nail starting to develop its red.

Do you have a photo of this animal so I can put his claws together with his body colors? I have a theory about which colors of animals have the deepest red claws.

Yep, here he is:

5520485924_846001d570_o.jpg

He was an old, very large male that had lost the horns on his right side.

Chris

The male on the top is a WC from 2015 import, the other guy is a CB from Perry by way of Bill. I sent him to Kevin, he has some of his daughters right now.
Maybe I'm crazy, but I like the top one. Although the one from Perry has a really nice head. Is Bill still doing the quads? Haven't talk to him about them lately.

Yep, here he is:

5520485924_846001d570_o.jpg

He was an old, very large male that had lost the horns on his right side.

Chris

Thanks, @Chris Anderson. How much did he weigh? How many male graciliors did you find in the wild?

I've wondered about their colors and how it relates to the location where they were found/collected from. My first gracilior female was imported gravid and produced an incredibly uniform clutch with all the babies (as far as I know) this chartreuse color with yellow cheeks. The mother is chartreuse but with turquoise blue cheeks. When bred to a blue male, she produced a rainbow of colors--blues, yellows and even oranges.

What has been your experience with the patches on graciliors? Most are pretty white but I have one whose patches are grey. I keep hoping he brightens up, but he never really does. The above male looks kind of grey, too. Do you think the grey is a function of age or the genetics?

20161107_123822.jpg

20161107_123702.jpg

Maybe I'm crazy, but I like the top one. Although the one from Perry has a really nice head. Is Bill still doing the quads? Haven't talk to him about them lately.

I got that guy 4 years ago. He was interesting, but I do like the blue ones better too.

How is your female from me doing? Do you have babies from her?

Since everyone is pitching in. These are a couple photo's of my lone male Trioceros quadricornis gracilor Rex. When he displays he has blue with gold and some orange around his head. Plus he has got a complete set of 4 horns. However they were knocked out of alignment during importation. He has got good sailfins on his back and tail. He has got some great phenotype's that I want to breed. He is exceedingly difficult to photograph.

0U1Iwc.jpg

tMf31S.jpg

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Back
Top Bottom