Whats going on with my girl?

hzliedmond

Established Member
Hello can someone help me what's going on with my girl ? Nothing has changed or anything and her colors r like this. Idk whats going on I even raised her basking area

Attachments

• 20231119_103807.jpg
    20231119_103807.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 30
How old is she? I’m not too familiar with females, but she may be gravid
You just beat me on that.

Hello can someone help me what's going on with my girl ? Nothing has changed or anything and her colors r like this. Idk whats going on I even raised her basking area
I’m guessing your girl is becoming receptive. Next phase will be that she becomes restless.

Those do look like she’s got her big girl colors/patterns now and can start her reproductive process. Has she been restless and roaming around her enclosure? That is one of the biggest signs of being receptive to mating…she’s gotten all dressed up and is hunting for a mate. Being receptive can last for a couple of weeks or so. Then she’ll start working on making eggs and begin growing plump and maybe even lumpy. As she gets closer to needing to lay, her colors/patterns will usually darken, she might not eat as much and she may be exploring more of the enclosure bottom. One day she won’t be in her usual basking spot and will have started digging. Cover the bottom half of the enclosure and give her absolute privacy. Laying her eggs can take a couple of days from start to finish. You’ll know she’s all done when all of her holes are covered completely and she’s basking and looks thin. Feed and hydrate her very well for a couple of days and then start or resume her diet of 3-4 feeders, 3 days a week, plus treats.
I’m not sure about your wooden lay bin and how it will hold up to the moisture. Generally plastic is used - at least 12” wide and long (deep too). Drill some tiny drain holes in the bottom. Fill with only 5-6” washed play sand and keep moist enough to hold a tunnel without collapsing. This is what I use and my girl has shown a preference for.
IMG_3348.jpeg IMG_3938.jpeg

I’m somewhat familiar. What questions do you have?

Those do look like she’s got her big girl colors/patterns now and can start her reproductive process. Has she been restless and roaming around her enclosure? That is one of the biggest signs of being receptive to mating…she’s gotten all dressed up and is hunting for a mate. Being receptive can last for a couple of weeks or so. Then she’ll start working on making eggs and begin growing plump and maybe even lumpy. As she gets closer to needing to lay, her colors/patterns will usually darken, she might not eat as much and she may be exploring more of the enclosure bottom. One day she won’t be in her usual basking spot and will have started digging. Cover the bottom half of the enclosure and give her absolute privacy. Laying her eggs can take a couple of days from start to finish. You’ll know she’s all done when all of her holes are covered completely and she’s basking and looks thin. Feed and hydrate her very well for a couple of days and then start or resume her diet of 3-4 feeders, 3 days a week, plus treats.
I’m not sure about your wooden lay bin and how it will hold up to the moisture. Generally plastic is used - at least 12” wide and long (deep too). Drill some tiny drain holes in the bottom. Fill with only 5-6” washed play sand and keep moist enough to hold a tunnel without collapsing. This is what I use and my girl has shown a preference for.
View attachment 346737View attachment 346738
Wow thank u so for the detailed info much I'll go get a bigger laybin that could fit inside the cage how tall do I need it ? My 2nd question do I keep feeding her every other day for now ? Or stop feeding her ? Thank u

Wow thank u so for the detailed info much I'll go get a bigger laybin that could fit inside the cage how tall do I need it ? My 2nd question do I keep feeding her every other day for now ? Or stop feeding her ? Thank u
My girl insisted on the taller bin that she had used before, so I don’t know if it was just because it was what she was used to or what. I’d say go as tall as you can comfortably fit in your enclosure. I suspect they like the security of the taller walls. Keep feeding her every other day, the same as you have been. Unless you’ve been feeding her like a dozen or more Lg feeders. 😄 Hopefully you’re giving her less than 5 feeders every other day. The more she’s fed, the more eggs she’ll produce.

My girl insisted on the taller bin that she had used before, so I don’t know if it was just because it was what she was used to or what. I’d say go as tall as you can comfortably fit in your enclosure. I suspect they like the security of the taller walls. Keep feeding her every other day, the same as you have been. Unless you’ve been feeding her like a dozen or more Lg feeders. 😄 Hopefully you’re giving her less than 5 feeders every other day. The more she’s fed, the more eggs she’ll produce.
No no lol I feed her every other day just a couple lol

Back
Top Bottom