What's going on with her?

LaserGecko

The girl is scaring me.

She's dehydrated, hanging out at the bottom of the cage, and extremely light in color. The last thing she ate was a goliath worm last Tuesday or Wednesday. Of course, she's not eating now. I showered her for about twenty minutes last night. Last night, I felt a lot better because she was back to normal colors and at the top of the cage on her branch.

Tonight, she's back to doing the same thing. Unfortunately, I now leave for work before she wakes up. I gave her another shower, but it didn't do any good. She's lethargic, too. Humidity hasn't been a problem (obviously). She's pretty skinny and the fat pads are depleted, too.

I have this "she's on death's door" feeling. I don't get it; nothing changed. She's probably about 3-4 years old.

Any ideas? I'm going to see about getting into a vet tomorrow.

Fairly recently for the poop and the laying box was in there since the first time I saw her on the ground after I got her. Of course, she's never used it and I've never felt eggs. (Neither did Chad when he saw her a few months ago.) I don't think she's eggbound, but it could be.

Of course, maybe it's just her time. I hope not. I've only had her for about nine months and she was supposed to be about two years old when I got her. She could be closer to three than four.

sorry to say but 3-4 years is not unheard of for being an expected time for her passing on, especially if she had been a champion breeder. i still hope that this is not the case and a visit to the vet can rectify her. but just wanted to reassure you its sounds as if youve been doing everything right and care much about her.

I think so far what you can do is make her feel comfortable.
Dehydration should not happened that quick. Plus, Goliath Worm should help with the water issues since they are very juicy.
Let us know what the vet says.
Good luck, Jason.

Im with Huey on this one as well. It just might be her time. The only thing really that might make sense with her not drinking or eating well might be some parasites picked up from feeders? Do you breed your own bugs or purchase them elsewhere? Its my biggest fear of all with this hobby - taking extra special care of my chams only to loose em to some dirty crickets loaded with who knows what.

Let us know what the doc has to say.

Well, she's been doing better and I haven't been able to get in to see my vet yet, however last night after the shower, she seemed like she was on death's door.

Today, she was back on a lower branch.

Right now, she's hanging upside down and trying to poop. (Lovely sight, too, hanging out and stuff.)

It has to be that damned Goliath worm causing the trouble. That's the only variable. I have a call into the vet right now, so I should hear back from him within the next few minutes.

Any ideas, anyone?

I fed my Panther a huge goliath a few days ago and when he pooped yesterday... it was like he had to fight that thing out... and it was about the size of a small cat terd! If she is plugged up i would try a warm bath and try to light massage her belly and see if you can get her to take a good dump. Sounds like she might just be feeling constipated after digesting one of those huge buggers.

Thats why i was wondering about her poop. Lethargic with light coloration can indicate impaction. Like socali said, get her in a warm water and it was shoot its way out. Also could you check your pms jason.

Well, she's been doing better and I haven't been able to get in to see my vet yet, however last night after the shower, she seemed like she was on death's door.

Today, she was back on a lower branch.

Right now, she's hanging upside down and trying to poop. (Lovely sight, too, hanging out and stuff.)

It has to be that damned Goliath worm causing the trouble. That's the only variable. I have a call into the vet right now, so I should hear back from him within the next few minutes.

Any ideas, anyone?

I doubt that goliath worm cause impaction (with it being soft bodied and all) to a 4 yo cham. Unless, if she is obviously too small to handle the big worm.

Hi Jason,

Are you sure she isn't trying to lay eggs? She kind of sounds like the way my Tasha was acting when she was getting ready to lay. Has she been in the laying bucket at all? I'm assuming that the sand you have in it is moist, right? When mine were getting ready to lay they always seem to stop drinking and get dehydrated. Either way keep up the showers and let us know what the vet says. I hope she will be ok! Also i sent you an email on your website a couple of days ago. Did you get it? Call me.

Debby

Sadly, this is now a moot point. ;-( She had everything that I'd ever read about. Her laying box was diggable and everything.

I think it was either the goliath worm or she was older than I was told. My son took it pretty hard. The sad thing about that empty cage is that it's like she's still there but just hiding. Maybe it's different when you have more than one.

I didn't feel any eggs or anything.

Howdy Jason,

Sorry that she didn't make it. Many of us have been where you are right now and if having more than one makes it less painful, you could have fooled me :(. If you can find someone else to do a necropsy for you, it may give you some closure.

Thats why i was wondering about her poop. Lethargic with light coloration can indicate impaction. Like socali said, get her in a warm water and it was shoot its way out. Also could you check your pms jason.

You said get her in warm water, how do you do that ? take them out and have a bowl of water or something to set them in ? What is the safest way of doing this ?

i would fill a bucket deep enough that the cham stays out of the water and fill it with water thats about 85ish and watch them for a few minutes and see if the warm water triggers a poo. Ive never had an impacted chameleon before(knock on wood) but ive heard this method works pretty well. Jason im very sorry for your loss.

Jason I'm sorry to hear about your loss but you've done a great job with her being 3-4 years old.

Yes, it's even more difficult for our little ones when they lose a pet..

I guess the only way to find out what really happened is thru necropsy.

Thanks, Mika.

Due to the circumstances involving how the death was handled before I got home from work that day, we can't have one done.

Back
Top Bottom