What's best, screen or glass??

Onmarko

Hey guys

Gonna invest in a big enclosure, I live in Ireland so weather fairly cold and wet,

So was wondering is a glass exo terra best suited over a screen enclosure in my location.. for keeping humidity in etc...

Thanks

Ireland stays humid so you won't have much trouble raising it up a bit. Unless the area where you keep him drops below 60 or so, a light bulb will keep him plenty warm. Screen cage.

It's not that humid in kildare .. especially from now until march. Gets below -2 degrees... or lower . Would you use a night time heat bulb ?

I'd say screen because that's what I personally use. However there are also members who use glass. I think it would also depend on the species. If you're worried about it being too cold at night use a ceramic bulb that doesn't emit any light. Hopefully some glass enclosure owners can give their input, or other more knowledgeable members than myself. Just wanted to give my opinion.

I really depends on what kind of environment you live in. I use screen because I don't have a problem maintaining heat and humidity.

We have a veiled and panther both in an Exo Terra 36" x 18" x 36". We live in Maine and last years lowest temperature was around -15, so with our woodstove going all the time the glass is awesome at keeping the humidity where it needs to be. We did start with screen and it just would not hold the humidity even with shower curtains wrapped all around it. The only thing I am careful of is the drainage on the bottom. I know people who drill and drain, but I just pump out the bottom. Here is a picture of my tank

image.jpeg

I live in Canada and I have tried many different cages....in the beginning over 30 years ago it was aquariums with screen lids because that's all there was. I tried wooden with screen in the lid and screen doors...then glass with screen lids and doors...then exo Terra...and I stuck with them.

With glass aquariums with screen lids the challenges are to create airflow by light placement...and drainage so water doesn't sit stagnant and make your chameleon sick. Humidity is not a problem with them. Water and airflow were manageable.

Wooden cages with screen in the lids and doors of screen were OK but hard to keep the temperatures up in winter here in Canada and the humidity was a challenge too without creating mould in the house.

The exo Terra was the easiest in all respects...so I stuck with them.

When you keep chameleons you soon learn that there is no ultimate answer...there are too many variables. You just have to figure out what works best in the climate, etc that you are in.

Back
Top Bottom