What would you have done? Injured Quadricornis Purchase

Thanks for the pictures. IMHO the black patches are not exposed bone, but they are necrotic. I would suspect they are old abrasions or possibly spots of old infections. Might even be just the skin surface not deeper. I don't see signs of current infections (swelling, discharge, reddened tissue around the edges of the black). I can see that injuries like this could well be present on a recent import who hasn't been treated very carefully since it was caught. Loaded into bags, cages, boxes, crawled over by other chams, rubbing itself on rough surfaces, etc. I've seen imported melleri with similar damage.

This isn't to say the cham is in "good" shape, but you could end up with a cham who heals OK with good care and attention. It just won't look perfect. I couldn't really see what you were talking about on the male though. Again, I've seen imported melleri (who have similar raised dorsal ridges that can be injured or burned) with broken scallops. We trimmed away the dead tissue gradually and found clean healthy tissue underneath.

Basically, we have a shop who buys imported chams and sells them in their "original" condition, bad or good. I am not saying this is a good thing, but for species like quads it is reality. I know you are mad and I completely sympathize, but I have seen wc chams in similar condition many times. Life in the wild is tough even before they get caught. They do get injured! A wc cham often won't be perfect, but they can be healthy with care and kindness.

If you really want a quad in perfect condition you will need to get a cbb from a breeder or raise a young one yourself. Actually, if the shop offered me a baby from a known source I would be interested because I could give it all the good care it needs to grow into a beautiful adult. And that could happen in a year or so giving you the breeding pair you want.

You are entitled to a refund for the returned male at this point. Nothing more or less. A store credit for the same amount might be useful (they will still have to eat the cost of the supplies you get). I would not want to support the shop's policy of buying wc from dealers, so I would take some good expensive supplies (like a bunch of ReptiSuns, foggers, terrariums, bigger ticket items) and walk away forever.

Last edited:
No the female had no exposed bones.
the male did for sure though as I could see them cracked and splintering.

again, I don't want anymore animals. Specially not from those losers. That would mean I am supporting them still.

In an hour I'm going down there and demanding money back. Hopefully it does not get ugly as I don't tend to do so well in confrontational situations and could end up doing something stupid.

3 against one. Them against me.

Well I went in there and tore them a new one.
I have never yelled at anyone that bad before in my life. :mad:

I'm freaking shaking right now and they're lucky I didn't break anything. I had my motorcycle helmet in my hand and was inches from swinging it around.

The best I could get them to agree to is refunding half my money by tomorrow at 4pm if they don't have replacement quadricornis.

Not like I even want any of their animals anymore. I don't know why I agreed to that. I will be back there yelling at them again tomorrow. I think the only reason I left was because I was so upset I forgot I was not supposed to.

Tomorrow I will not leave until I am satisfied, and they know I am very angry now.

I told them I will stand out front and hold up a sign that says they sell injured animals. I was pissed! I'm proud of myself. funk those fools.

Most pet shops I have been to have a money back guarantee. NOT THESE PUKES!
Surely they adopted the policy seconds after I returned the male.

its too bad that people that should be no where near animals or reptiles are running a pet shop. hopefully they will get thier come-uppins.

Agreed.

I'm sorry I had to post this here and get everyone all worked up.

It looks like the original question has been answered.

Did I make a mistake by bringing the quad back to the shop?

the answer is YES.

Live and learn.
Today I go back at 4pm to see what they have for me.. and I won't leave until they come up with something.

Sucks having to go back there after I totally chewed them out yesterday but that's the way it has to be so I'll have to deal with it.

Thanks for all the support guys. Next time I need to think about situations for a few days before I make any moves. I think that's my lesson learned here. Also, Never buy somewhere where refunds are not accepted (even though I didn't know they don't do refund and probably didn't have that policy until this happened). One last lesson is to pay more attention to the animals I have and less attention to buy more. I don't know how that is a bad or good lesson to learn, but somehow I learned that here.

The messed up part is nobody at this shop will learn anything from this whole ordeal. They definitely should not be running it. And nobody cares how they run it either. I never received a call back from animal control. Nobody could care less about what goes on in there.

I will be posting their info undoubtedly when I get home today.
Arm your dialing fingers and give them hell for all chameleons out there.

If anything, for the ones still left in their shop. =( (there is an $600 pair of panthers and a pair of fischer's and some other pair in there left unfortunately)

Can't you take them to small claims court? Who cares how much the amount is that you sue for, it is the fact of the matter. It is only a small fee to do so, but if it is in your favor, they have to pay the fee. If you don't win, they are still inconvenienced and have to show up during the work day, probably having to close the shop for the day and not make any money that day.

Last edited:
That will be my next recourse if I don't feel satisfied when I go down there in a half hour with a pissed off look on my face

Besides the point, there is no real proof of anything from either side in this case. Who will they judge for? They could say I took the chameleon and got rid of it just to take them to court. No proof in any of this. 90% hearsay. I have one lizard too but not the other so who has it? Why you think they got rid of it now. To stop anything bad that could happen to them.

When I come home you guys can have at them. I already have and am already sure I won't be satisfied with what they do for me.

Would be pretty cool if like 200 people called them and chewed them out but hey I'm asking too much already for help.

Wish me luck.

Well I received exactly half my total for both of the chamies back.
$85 of $170 back, even though they sold me the male for $150 plus $20 for the female.

I got screwed but at least I got something back out of it and still have the female who will get a new big giant cage ASAP with nice lights and plants etc etc etc. Also a vet visit when I can afford it.

I will take the 85 bucks and leave it at that and call it a day since I have been through quite a bit of emotional stress anyways when I should really be searching for jobs.

Lesson learned for sure. Many lessons in fact.

Well, to all that are wondering..

Don't buy any animals from Reptile Depot aka Jungle World Exotics on Topanga Canyon Blvd in Chatsworth/Northridge, Southern California. You may not get what you bargained for.. And I say bargained literally because prices adjust on the fly and you don't get receipts unless you start demanding stuff and you damn sure better examine the living crud out of anything you buy there.

Be careful, there is two pet shops very close to each other here and one of them is very very very highly recommended by me (cleanest pet shop cages in the west!) and the other one less than a half mile away is a total scamjob waiting to suck your blood. You should know it visibly when you walk in the door. The bad place does not also sell fish. If you see fish and azureus dart frogs, you are in the good store.

Ohhhhhh... it was Reptile Depot? That actually speaks volumes. Go to Fauna Classifieds BOI... I did a bad guy thread about them.

You'll find other BOI threads about Reptile Depot from over the years. Their customer service is sporadic and disorganized. About 7 years ago they were better...I mail ordered an unusual frog and some supplies from them and had no issues at all. The frog was healthy and lived for years and the information I got was great. But, I also prepared for the worst and knew it would be a wc animal. Since then they have really gone downhill. Some people have no trouble with anything and others have nightmares.

I think they are still in business because some of the staff is pretty experienced, they often have supplies other places don't, and they carry less common herps (just about guarranteed to be wc and not acclimated). For someone buying a species for the first time and needing more support I wouldn't suggest them, but for an experienced hobbyist who knows what they are getting in to and is prepared to handle health issues right off the bat it would be a different story.

None of this excuses their handling of an injured animal without vet care!!

Back
Top Bottom