What would be ideal UVB meter reading?

ToniandGizmo

Summoner12 posted some very interesting information on chameleon lighting. I think though that this should be it's own thread. Here's my question:

What would be the "ideal" UVB reading for a 10.0 Reptisun fixture that is hung from the ceiling. There is no plastic or screen coming between the light and my chameleon. I am fixing Gizmo's free range area, and I want to make sure it is at the proper height so that he can benefit from the UVB's while not being so close as to burn him.

Howdy Toni,

There was a time when I followed Dr. Ferguson's Panther book suggestion of 5-15uW/cm2. But then after a Q&A with him, I think I'm more inclined to go with 20-50uW/cm2 so long as it is from either a linear Reptisun or maybe a Mega-Ray, T-Rex or Powersun MV. Product additions and deletions to this list are likely :). (I think you are a Reptisun user if I recall correctly.) Since your question suggests that you have a Solarmeter 6.2, if you ever happen to choose to use any of the MV products listed, the meter will be almost essential in their proper positioning because you'll likely be trading-off UVB vs. heat as you position an MV. A low-cost infrared temp meter is a handy tool to go along with the Solarmeter.

Thanks Dave. Yes, it is a 10.0 Reptisun Linear. As it stands right now, from light to vine, I'm getting a 15 reading on it with my uvb meter. I was one of the SBCK members who went in on the group buy. I will make the necessary adjustments tomorrow (Gizmo's asleep now). Again, thank you.

The one taken outside on a sunny day :)

(I know, I know. You cant beat nature but you still wanna try!) :D

The one taken outside on a sunny day :)

(I know, I know. You cant beat nature but you still wanna try!) :D

I agree. Up until a few days ago, Gizmo was spending around 2 to 3 hours a day - every day, at his "fair weather" home outside. We're starting to get our June Gloom weather now so I'm setting up his free range facility in his bedroom. :)

Yeah Winter sux big ones for sure, its getting too cold/rainy here too often now for homer to go out daily, so the best artificial you can provide is the next best. Fair call.
Been freezing and raining everyday for a week here now, 3 months to go!
I hate winter.
Waiting for the first sunny day and everything goes out! Including me :)
Can understand why ancient peoples worshipped the sun!

Hey I STILL worship the Sun! <3

When I use my 6.2 outside I get readings of 50-250 (shade to full sun) and I'm way the heck up in Canada.

Is 15-50 really an adequate range?

I understand that since the UVB lights are on all day as opposed to a lizard
basking for just a few hours a few times a day is different, but does
length of exposure equal to the intensity of exposure?

And do we know what chameleons respond to best for the best d3 conversion?

After seeing that my UVBs were only putting out 20-40, I put most of my lizards
out in the Sun every few days for an hour, usually late afternoon, readings
at about 120-200

Please do notice that even though the sun's emit intense UV ray, our chameleons do not exactly worship the UV and bask around unobstructed habitat all day long.
They come out and bask in the morning, they hide under leaves and so on during the noon, and perhaps bask again during late afternoon.

There is a huge difference of UV readings between the one out in the open with the one under the leaf.
So, just because the sun reads 200 uW/cm2, it does not mean you need to expose that much for your chameleon.

On top of the complicated light requirement (with proper wavelengths and spectrum and so on), we have another equation to consider, which is metabolic rate of your chameleon.
So, the only thing making sense to me, is to let your chameleon decide for itself when it has enough and when it needs more.
I always suggest giving them a place to escape completely from the sun/ light when you put them outside.
Or even when you set up your lighting indoor.

So, the only thing making sense to me, is to let your chameleon decide for itself when it has enough and when it needs more.

Absolutely. Its what they do best.
I dont think longer exposure to artificial sources equates to quality equal to natural short exposures to sunlight. No where near it, even all day long.
Allowing natural behaviours where possible really is best, Millions of years of evolution
cant be wrong. :)

Absolutely. Its what they do best.
I dont think longer exposure to artificial sources equates to quality equal to natural short exposures to sunlight. No where near it, even all day long.
Allowing natural behaviours where possible really is best, Millions of years of evolution
cant be wrong. :)

true. But, we got to realize that we are putting our chameleon much much closer to the uvb source than the nature.
There will be no incident in the nature whatsoever where your chameleon can get to a UVB emiting source as close as 6 inches. :)

So, we should also be careful not to assume the stronger light to always be the better choice.
I would assume 15-50 uw/cm2 would be an adequate range. As Dave mentioned in his lecture :), if we want to be accurate, we have to measure not just the uv readings out in the open, but also the micro habitat of chameleon (e.g: the uv readings under the leaves, behind the bushes, and under the tropical canopy).

UVB meter alone will not be enough instrument to calculate the exact proper lighting required.

Last edited:
I'm just saying that I get 50-75 in the shade way up here, where it varies greatly
in winter/summer.

But on the equator and close to it, the light changes only by 30 minutes
seasonally.

Even in the shade here, it can get up to 75. Although I'm sure it is
quite lower under the canopy of a rainforest, they would be exposed
to quite high UVB intensity.

I'm just wondering if all day exposed to 40 is equal to basking an hour at 240.
Or if there is a minimum but optimum range for d3 conversion.

Is 40 high enough?

I'm just saying that I get 50-75 in the shade way up here, where it varies greatly
in winter/summer.

But on the equator and close to it, the light changes only by 30 minutes
seasonally.

Even in the shade here, it can get up to 75. Although I'm sure it is
quite lower under the canopy of a rainforest, they would be exposed
to quite high UVB intensity.

I'm just wondering if all day exposed to 40 is equal to basking an hour at 240.
Or if there is a minimum but optimum range for d3 conversion.

Is 40 high enough?

One can assume that it is not equal. That is why we supplement with D3 as a safeguard mechanism..
But, really, did you notice your chameleon actually actively seeking the light at 240 readings? or did he hide under the shade?

I just found another interesting meter.
http://www.solarmeter.com/model64.html
I remember vaguely from the last SBCK meeting about the fact that other meter is quite useless for chameleon's related business (since they require much smaller readings).
Is this one of them, Dave (if you are reading this)?

Sorry Toni, didn't mean to steer away too much from your original topic.

Last edited:
One can assume that it is not equal. That is why we supplement with D3 as a safeguard mechanism..
But, really, did you notice your chameleon actually actively seeking the light at 240 readings? or did he hide under the shade?

I just found another interesting meter.
http://www.solarmeter.com/model64.html
I remember vaguely from the last SBCK meeting about the fact that other meter is quite useless for chameleon's related business (since they require much smaller readings).
Is this one of them, Dave (if you are reading this)?

Sorry Toni, didn't mean to steer away too much from your original topic.

No problem dodolah. Beside, I already got my answer. It's interesting reading the other thoughts related to the subject.

The next good day I have Giz outside, I will take UVB readings as he moves through his day. For example, in the morning he loves to make like a solar panel and soak up all the rays. As the day goes on into the afternoon, he alternates between full sun, dappled sun and full shade as he regulates his internal temp. Lately, I've been taking him out around 9:30 AM and he's usually back inside around 2:00 PM.

Back
Top Bottom