What will we run out of next? Finding alternatives?

Christel

First it was toilet paper (which actually has only been around for ~140 years), milk (which was actually on the shelves Monday!), masks (should only be used if you are ill, and is causing a shortage for health workers ?), soaps (I make my own, no worries there), and of course sanitizer... and now it's crickets and other feeders. Everyone's sold out - of everything. I was able to catch some moths off my redbud tree last night, but not sure what I'll be feeding in the days to come, after I run out of my last 3 dozen crickets.
Next it will be pet food, and livestock feed, I guess.
How is everyone else doing in the hunt to feed your family and pets?

I didn't realize feeders were selling out as well. I just got a order of 250 3/4" crickets and 14 hornworms last week from josh's frogs. So with that and the orange head colony I just recently started, I hope it lasts till things are back to normal.

My 'normal' method was to run into town 1-2x week, since I'm only feeding the one. I may have to refigure this. Thanks SO much for checking!

250 crickets would last me 2 days lol... I just got my order for 4,000 there is no shortage of crickets!! Pretty soon there will be a shortage of stores to buy them from depending on where you live

We ran out of water here in Colorado pretty quick. I was forced to look for a distilled water substitute. I came across Zero Water pitchers. It's a water pitcher with a 5stage ion exchange filter that can turn tap water into basically distilled or RO water. What it does is take your tap water that may have 175 Total Dissolved Solvents, chlorine, fluoride, and filters it down to 000 TDS just like distilled water. RO systems can cost a lot of money and I only own 2 chameleons so this was a great investment if I can push at least 20 gallons through 1 filter before it goes bad. Initial cost of a 12 cup pitcher was $40 and filters run about $15 if only buying 1 at a time. 15 gallons of distilled water cost $15 here and I'm helping the environment by no longer using all that plastic every week as well.

250 crickets would last me 2 days lol... I just got my order for 4,000 there is no shortage of crickets!! Pretty soon there will be a shortage of stores to buy them from depending on where you live
Did you buy some small and some medium so they will last longer?

So I guess here in FL we are different...we are now reopening everything. Everything is allowed to reopen to 25% capacity. Meaning if 12 people was limit in store before virus it is now 4. (based on fire code of people limit I guess).

So I guess here in FL we are different...we are now reopening everything. Everything is allowed to reopen to 25% capacity. Meaning if 12 people was limit in store before virus it is now 4. (based on fire code of people limit I guess).
That will be fine if people leave their whole fracking family at home. Every time I go shopping there’s always several different groups of large families, including the little kids, pushing one cart and no one wearing a mask. They block the whole aisle and make social distancing impossible, not to mention making shopping difficult.

That will be fine if people leave their whole fracking family at home. Every time I go shopping there’s always several different groups of large families, including the little kids, pushing one cart and no one wearing a mask. They block the whole aisle and make social distancing impossible, not to mention making shopping difficult.

Wow! Families and no masks!

Here all the aisles in our stores are one way only and you can't go any closer than 2 meters to the one ahead of you. Checkouts have plexiglass barriers in most stores too...everything is wiped down after each customer and so are the carts. We have to use the store's bags to put the things into...not bags we bring in. Only a few people are allowed in the store at a time....depends on the store I think. There are lineups outside the stores...each person standing 2 meters from the other.

There is only about one case per 1000 people living here....but who knows if it's the truth.

Wow! Families and no masks!

Here all the aisles in our stores are one way only and you can't go any closer than 2 meters to the one ahead of you. Checkouts have plexiglass barriers in most stores too...everything is wiped down after each customer and so are the carts. We have to use the store's bags to put the things into...not bags we bring in. Only a few people are allowed in the store at a time....depends on the store I think. There are lineups outside the stores...each person standing 2 meters from the other.

There is only about one case per 1000 people living here....but who knows if it's the truth.
~sigh~ I wish even more now that I could move to Canada. Cool weather and mindful people.
With almost 1,300,000 confirmed cases and 76k dead, I still hear people saying that the virus isn’t anything worse than a cold or flu.

~sigh~ I wish even more now that I could move to Canada. Cool weather and mindful people.
With almost 1,300,000 confirmed cases and 76k dead, I still hear people saying that the virus isn’t anything worse than a cold or flu.

But the flu and even cold in rare cases kill children and are big concerns with young kids. We don't social distance for that though. They're only saying it's worse because of the numbers, but look at a kid with the flu and a kid with covid and then tell me which is worse. Sorry, kids haven't had the chance to live yet and are more important than any of us adults. Also, a lot of numbers are being inflated to get money. Not to say it isn't a huge concern and there aren't a lot of deaths, but the sick/elderly should be social distancing and should have help. The rest of us need to get on with life. This shut down is ruining a lot of lives and possibly the future for our country. Also, our immune systems need to be exposed! Sanitizing everything does not seem like a smart idea for healthy individuals.

@jamest0o0 I'm thinking they are hoping we all/most of us get it but slow enough that the hospitals can cope with the serious cases of it...at least here in Canada. Just my guess. Thing is though...how long are we immune to it after we get it or are we never immune? Will it be long enough for them to develop a proper vaccine?

Back
Top Bottom