What UVB Lighting to use ? ADvanced tamers please read !

McClouds

Im sure you guys have Answered this time and time again . and you even have a section on the web site dedicated to it .
after reading a lot of posts . I have come to the conclusion that most Tube Hoods will work . and its no ware near as complicated as I made it out to be
so Id like to know what more advanced users are doing ?
dose anyone use Zoo Med Reptisun Led Uvb Terrarium Hood ?
and if so how is it doing for your Chem ?
and who has the most Basic Set up ?
and again how is it doing for your Chem ?

I am hoping some advanced Chem care takers will post and share their long term set ups and why they went the route they did .

lastly so glad thiers a hole website dedicated to Chameleons . I am new and im gearing up a large tall tank for ither a new Jacksion or a Panther . and im existed to Join the Community you all have built here

thanks for the info ! . what do you recommend ?

Reptisun or arcadia depending on the budget and availability. both are staples here on the forum.

If you are going for the T8 bulb thickness, you want a 10.0/12%
If you are going for the T5-HO bulb thickness, you want the 5.0/6%

I dont know your budget but you cant get a T5-HO for 40 bucks

https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-2605...&ie=UTF8&qid=1493243248&sr=1-2&keywords=t5-ho
https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Rept...&ie=UTF8&qid=1493243248&sr=1-6&keywords=t5-ho

The led hood has a spot for a t5 uvb bulb the leds aren't uvb that technology has not been made yet. On most of mine I use duel t5 Acadia uvb and 65k day light for plants and extra lighting. Chameleons are happy with brighter lighting.

I don't like glass but I hear they are good for Jackson's because the need high humidity. I use screen 2x2x4 cage or bigger. live plants with loads of foliage. lots of vertical and horizontal branches more horizontal in mine. You can use real branches from trees outside if not toxic clean there's things on here to tell you how and safe plants. Automatic mister and lighting timers. More you automate the better. I even use thermostat for my basking bulb so It doesn't get to hot. Good drainage. Lots of different feeders and good gutloading. Tons of work research and preventative maintenance.

Im sure you guys have Answered this time and time again . and you even have a section on the web site dedicated to it .
after reading a lot of posts . I have come to the conclusion that most Tube Hoods will work . and its no ware near as complicated as I made it out to be
so Id like to know what more advanced users are doing ?
dose anyone use Zoo Med Reptisun Led Uvb Terrarium Hood ?
and if so how is it doing for your Chem ?
and who has the most Basic Set up ?
and again how is it doing for your Chem ?

I am hoping some advanced Chem care takers will post and share their long term set ups and why they went the route they did .

lastly so glad thiers a hole website dedicated to Chameleons . I am new and im gearing up a large tall tank for ither a new Jacksion or a Panther . and im existed to Join the Community you all have built here

You need to be sure to read carefully all the responses you get. You may get answers all over the place on this. There is no one right way to do what your asking. What works for one keeper may not work for you due to enclosure type, foliage,temp and humidity at the location, type of heat lamp they use, budget and even the type of cham. Don't just try to copy what you see, but learn WHY people do what they do and see how it fits your situation. Ask and question the responses you get. That's the best advise I can give you.

I think you should narrow down if you want a jacksons or a panther as they both have a bit different needs. But there are sooooo many different light combos to use that work for different people and different chams. Some things to think about are: what's your budget, what type of Cham, size of cage, and the decor of your cage. There's probably more as I am tired and forget but those are some main basics. I myself run all Lightyourreptile quad fixtures with Arcadia bulbs but this is an expensive setup and like I said there are tons of other great options that work for different peoples setups and budgets. The reason I use my setups is because I like that my fixtures have built in timers so I can just plug it in and program it how I want it. It's very simple and right to the point. I have a couple different setups but I run 2 6500k bulbs 1 plant bulb and 1 uvb(6% and 12% depending on wich setup it's over). Basking lights are kept simple for me I use a $10 dome fixture from Walmart with normal house bulbs in them to get the right basking temps. My chams thrive under my setups but I do have one of the more expensive routes. I agree with a comment above about posts! Don't always take every post as advice to you. This is a very helpful page but we still have some people who troll and post false info.( not saying anything you got is false info just a heads up!) welcome to the forums and make sure you have your setups perfect before you bring your new little one home!

How is this total trash? That's a bit vague don't you think?
alright. Its a cheap piece of junk. Its small for a linear fluorescent light. Only comes in T8 (what is this 2006?) It comes with acrylic over the fixture that you have to break off, it has lower than advertised UVB, and wont last you a year. I can get more in depth if you want....

alright. Its a cheap piece of junk. Its small for a linear fluorescent light. Only comes in T8 (what is this 2006?) It comes with acrylic over the fixture that you have to break off, it has lower than advertised UVB, and wont last you a year. I can get more in depth if you want....

Please do.

I think you should narrow down if you want a jacksons or a panther as they both have a bit different needs. But there are sooooo many different light combos to use that work for different people and different chams. Some things to think about are: what's your budget, what type of Cham, size of cage, and the decor of your cage. There's probably more as I am tired and forget but those are some main basics. I myself run all Lightyourreptile quad fixtures with Arcadia bulbs but this is an expensive setup and like I said there are tons of other great options that work for different peoples setups and budgets. The reason I use my setups is because I like that my fixtures have built in timers so I can just plug it in and program it how I want it. It's very simple and right to the point. I have a couple different setups but I run 2 6500k bulbs 1 plant bulb and 1 uvb(6% and 12% depending on wich setup it's over). Basking lights are kept simple for me I use a $10 dome fixture from Walmart with normal house bulbs in them to get the right basking temps. My chams thrive under my setups but I do have one of the more expensive routes. I agree with a comment above about posts! Don't always take every post as advice to you. This is a very helpful page but we still have some people who troll and post false info.( not saying anything you got is false info just a heads up!) welcome to the forums and make sure you have your setups perfect before you bring your new little one home!

To the OP, joshuadh's advise above is good. All I will add is if you want the same fixtures, search for Odyssea. Same fixtures (less the bulbs) for fraction of the price. Literally. Just a name change on the outside and different bulbs.

To the OP, joshuadh's advise above is good. All I will add is if you want the same fixtures, search for Odyssea. Same fixtures (less the bulbs) for fraction of the price. Literally. Just a name change on the outside and different bulbs.
I have heard this. I have not looked into it at all but there is a large thread about them and I peaked around and seemed to see the same product just different names. I myself didn't know about this when getting my lights but oh well I still don't have regrets about them.

I have heard this. I have not looked into it at all but there is a large thread about them and I peaked around and seemed to see the same product just different names. I myself didn't know about this when getting my lights but oh well I still don't have regrets about them.
yeah, I mean, the bulbs are the most important part. At the end of the day it isn't that much of a price difference.

yeah, I mean, the bulbs are the most important part. At the end of the day it isn't that much of a price difference.

My math must be different than yours.

As an example:
$170 - The name brand (24")

$70 - Odyssea (24")
$30 - Arcadia UVB
$9 - HO T5 bulbs Based on the bulbs I buy which have worked well and last a long time. Bought a set Jan of last year, still have the original bulbs working in my fixture.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007ZGASDQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My math says that's about $70 less, ($61 if you factor in new bulbs). You must be rich or don't have support yourself if you think $70 is not "that much of a price difference" :eek: :p:p

At the end of the day if you're happy, that's what counts. I get slammed for my views regularly on this topic, so I will add a counter to my own: If buying the more expensive lights comes with added benefits such as advise or other customer support that you value, then go with it. I personally choose to do my research, look up specs and ask questions then decide what I will buy. If I can take advantage of a good deal without cutting too many corners, then I usually choose to do it. But that's just me.

My sole purpose of my comments is to inform that one can get similar if not the same quality for less. Your Cham will not care if you spend $200 or $100 on his supplies. As long as his needs are satisfactorily met then you are doing right and being a good owner. (y)

Cheers.

My math must be different than yours.

As an example:
$170 - The name brand (24")

$70 - Odyssea (24")
$30 - Arcadia UVB
$9 - HO T5 bulbs Based on the bulbs I buy which have worked well and last a long time. Bought a set Jan of last year, still have the original bulbs working in my fixture.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007ZGASDQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My math says that's about $70 less, ($61 if you factor in new bulbs). You must be rich or don't have support yourself if you think $70 is not "that much of a price difference" :eek: :p:p

At the end of the day if you're happy, that's what counts. I get slammed for my views regularly on this topic, so I will add a counter to my own: If buying the more expensive lights comes with added benefits such as advise or other customer support that you value, then go with it. I personally choose to do my research, look up specs and ask questions then decide what I will buy. If I can take advantage of a good deal without cutting too many corners, then I usually choose to do it. But that's just me.

My sole purpose of my comments is to inform that one can get similar if not the same quality for less. Your Cham will not care if you spend $200 or $100 on his supplies. As long as his needs are satisfactorily met then you are doing right and being a good owner. (y)

Cheers.
Are you calling me out here? The commenter had already said that they didn't regret their decision. If he's happy, why are you chiming in on me supporting myself? If he doesn't regret his decision, to him, your $70 bucks is not that much of a difference. You know nothing about me, my situation, my finances, or my career. And to assume I didn't spec out my build and setup is laughable, so lets back it up here a sec and stop throwing shade at me.

OK ! as the Post maker I am here to update all of you on my progress .
Firstly thank you all for your info and better depth , that I my self must go to prep my future chams needs
so far I have a 2foot Sq terrarium and is 5 foot tall with screen sides and a glass back and front , the front has a sliding panel and so dose the top . both are screens . I went a head and contacted my Friend that makes light fixtures for Hydroponics and he made me a fixture and set me up with the Right bulb for a Jackson . SO as a heads up im looking for a Jackson . not sure if I want to go the baby route or some others option
but the question me and my Friend have next , IS what do all of you like to Grow in your Terrarium ?
im looking for a good tall plant to put in the terrarium and then I want a lot of small plants and vines to connect the main big plant to all the cool dead wood I want to post along the walls , so please tell me what big and small plants and vines you use in your cham home . please don't post fake plants as im more excited to grow my own then I am to use props in the tank

lastly im not getting a cham till I can properly establish the plant life . so if you have Jacksons . id be down to talk about buying one in mid august

Back
Top Bottom