What UVB does my chameleon need?

Who said anything about a ZooMed fixture? I was just pointing out that some of these 3rd party fixtures can have iffy reflectors, and without a meter, it's difficult to tell.
And please note, Vivarium Electronics is one of those on the list.

View attachment 272194
Can you please link this article so I can get a better picture of the reflectors?

Can you please link this article so I can get a better picture of the reflectors?
The graphic was emailed to me, but I looked up the source and posted the link with an edit.

I would like to emphasize: (from the linked PDF)
The fix is really easy. After you’ve taken the reflector strip out of its black holder, make absolutely sure you know which side is the good, aluminized side, either from your meter readings or from its appearance plus scratch test. Turn it over so the good side faces the front. Slide it back into the holder. Now, the good aluminized coating is facing the lamp. You have a repaired reflector!

(But if you remove your reflector strip please be very careful when replacing it! They can bend and the aluminum film scratch, crack and break easily!)
It's not as easy as described. What's easy is breaking or shattering (as in my case) the reflector when attempting to bend it in the opposite direction. This was not cautioned in the original version of the fix, and I (and others) feel we should have been warned of the risk.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. The lightyourreptiles dual fixture I purchased in August 2019 reflector looks like a mirror reflection and does not have the orange peel to it. I'm thinking that it might also be backwards. I just replaced the Arcadia 6% UVB in it on Saturday. I'm not going to bother messing with it and risk shattering the reflector to test it. Plus I also have my basking branch set at a fixed location when I spray foamed it into the side of my enclosure. But I'll keep it on file for when I do my second enclosure.

Important piece of equipment you should have for chameleon keeping.
40A53CE4-0DD7-4393-916A-B7C00CF79819.jpeg

Thanks for the link. The lightyourreptiles dual fixture I purchased in August 2019 reflector looks like a mirror reflection and does not have the orange peel to it. I'm thinking that it might also be backwards. I just replaced the Arcadia 6% UVB in it on Saturday. I'm not going to bother messing with it and risk shattering the reflector to test it. Plus I also have my basking branch set at a fixed location when I spray foamed it into the side of my enclosure. But I'll keep it on file for when I do my second enclosure.
You don't need to risk shattering the mylar to test if it's right side out. The risk comes in trying to slide it out, flip it over, & slide it back in. IME, the mylar is usually curved whichever way it was initially installed, so flipping it involves trying to force the curve in the opposite direction, putting stress on the mylar.

If you have a meter, just test the output with & without the reflector assembly (the black plastic piece) attached and detached. If the output is (nearly) doubled with the reflector, it's good. If the output is the same with or without reflector, the reflector's wonky.

It's not a total loss; you just have to adjust your distance from bulb to bask to get the correct range for your species of chameleon.

Back
Top Bottom