What UVB does my chameleon need?

ayo4yeyo

I'm getting a 24x24x48 screen cage today and I was wondering what linear bulb I need for my veiled cham? I've seen 5.0 on a lot of posts but will that be good for the plants I have at the bottom too?

K you'll need a T5HO UVB 24" fixture. I think there's some on amazon. Show us a screenshot or link before you buy because there's a lot of wrong stuff that's out there

I'm researching the heck out of UV lighting options today,
so I look forward to the responses you receive.

Seems the 5.0 linear fluorescent light is the recommended solution,
but ... a screen can reduce the UVB getting inside the enclosure by 40 to 60 percent.

Is the 5.0 still enough UVB with this reduction?
Is a 10.0 a better option or is that too much UVB?

I have a solar meter, but would have to buy both bulbs to test the light output through a screen.

Finding scientific UVB requirements for a chameleon is challenging.

May still end up going with mercury vapor bulbs.

http://www.reptileuv.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_67&products_id=216

Heat is a consideration with the MV bulbs.

Haven't reached a conclusion yet ...
But I tend to over think things!

Hi there.. Soooo with UVB for Panthers and Veileds you want about a 3 UVI at basking. What does this mean to you? Well you will need a T5HO fixture with a 5.0 or 6% UVB bulb. Then basking should be 9 inches below the fixture. This will give you approximately a 3 UVI. You want a fixture that runs the width of your enclosure. So for a 24 inch you get the 24 inch fixture. Bulbs for these come 2 inches shorter then the fixture length.

For plants you can go the LED route. Arcadia makes the Jungle dawn bars which are nice and they pair with their PRO T5 UVB kits. But these can be hard to find right now with Covid. And they can only be ordered.

Or you can go the T5 fixture route with a 6400 or 6500 daylight bulb.

I am using these fixtures right now and I really like them. You can daisy chain them together too. They come with the 6400 daylight bulb so you would need to buy 1 UVB bulb. https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/t5-uvb-light-fixture.html

More info on UVB
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-cage-set-up-replicating-the-sun/

Hi there.. Soooo with UVB for Panthers and Veileds you want about a 3 UVI at basking. What does this mean to you? Well you will need a T5HO fixture with a 5.0 or 6% UVB bulb. Then basking should be 9 inches below the fixture. This will give you approximately a 3 UVI. You want a fixture that runs the width of your enclosure. So for a 24 inch you get the 24 inch fixture. Bulbs for these come 2 inches shorter then the fixture length.

For plants you can go the LED route. Arcadia makes the Jungle dawn bars which are nice and they pair with their PRO T5 UVB kits. But these can be hard to find right now with Covid. And they can only be ordered.

Or you can go the T5 fixture route with a 6400 or 6500 daylight bulb.

I am using these fixtures right now and I really like them. You can daisy chain them together too. They come with the 6400 daylight bulb so you would need to buy 1 UVB bulb. https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/t5-uvb-light-fixture.html

More info on UVB
https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-cage-set-up-replicating-the-sun/

Thank you so much!

I'm researching the heck out of UV lighting options today,
so I look forward to the responses you receive.

Seems the 5.0 linear fluorescent light is the recommended solution,
but ... a screen can reduce the UVB getting inside the enclosure by 40 to 60 percent.

Is the 5.0 still enough UVB with this reduction?
Is a 10.0 a better option or is that too much UVB?

I have a solar meter, but would have to buy both bulbs to test the light output through a screen.

Finding scientific UVB requirements for a chameleon is challenging.

May still end up going with mercury vapor bulbs.

http://www.reptileuv.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65_67&products_id=216

Heat is a consideration with the MV bulbs.

Haven't reached a conclusion yet ...
But I tend to over think things!
I would avoid Mercury Vapor bulbs... The put out quite a bit of heat and UVI levels. You do have a solarmeter which is the only way I would recommend anyone using these. But the other thing I do not like for them. Is it is still only one area of UVB. These do well for large free range set ups but not really great for small cages.

I have tested both a 6% and a 12% in a T5HO single bulb fixture through screen. The 12% or even a 10.0 is going to produce much too high UVI levels. So you have to compensate by distancing from basking even more.

HOWEVER Bulbs differ with fixture so say your running a quad fixture with one reflector panel for all 4 bulbs. This would require a 12% or 10.0 because the UVI level is reduced by the other bulbs and 1 reflector for all of them. This would really be the only reason to run a 10.0 or 12%. If a cage is set up with different areas of exposure having one area for heat/basking more open and unrestricted by plants then using a 5.0 or a 6% at 9 inches in a single fixture T5HO is going to give you approx 3 UVI min. Mine is producing about 3.4-3.8 on the highest sides. MAX UVI exposure for a Veiled is a 6 UVI.

Hi there.. Soooo with UVB for Panthers and Veileds you want about a 3 UVI at basking. What does this mean to you? Well you will need a T5HO fixture with a 5.0 or 6% UVB bulb. Then basking should be 9 inches below the fixture. This will give you approximately a 3 UVI.
I think it would help to make the distinction with or without a mirrored reflector, and mirrored vs. white reflector. Last I went shopping for inexpensive T5 fixtures, many didn't have reflectors at all, and some that had "reflectors" were just hoods painted white.

I think it would help to make the distinction with or without a mirrored reflector, and mirrored vs. white reflector. Last I went shopping for inexpensive T5 fixtures, many didn't have reflectors at all, and some that had "reflectors" were just hoods painted white.
When you buy T5HO that are not for use with reptiles your taking the chance of getting crappy reflectors or no reflector at all... The ones I suggested are for use with reptiles and have the correct reflectors.

When you buy T5HO that are not for use with reptiles your taking the chance of getting crappy reflectors or no reflector at all... The ones I suggested are for use with reptiles and have the correct reflectors.
I believe those are SunBlasters (they look identical), which have had problems with their reflectors not reflecting UVB. This is easy to determine with a solarmeter, but if one doesn't have one, it's much more difficult to tell.

I believe those are SunBlasters (they look identical), which have had problems with their reflectors not reflecting UVB. This is easy to determine with a solarmeter, but if one doesn't have one, it's much more difficult to tell.
I just bought 6 from that site the brand is vivarium electronics not sunblaster. Tested all 6. reflectors are perfect.

OK, fine. Sure look the same, & close to the same price.
https://www.amazon.com/Sunblaster-Output-Fluorescent-Strip-2-Feet/dp/B00AKKULI6
Probably the same Chinese factory. The SunBlasters are hit & miss, so again... solarmeter.
I am not going to sit and argue with you. In a perfect world all keepers would have a solarmeter 6.5. But these are expensive and most can not just come out of pocket with $250.

All I can say is I just bought 6 of the vivarium electronics fixtures. 3 in a 36 inch and 3 in a 48 inch. ALL 6 have perfect reflectors that I tested with a solarmeter and in my opinion these are better quality then a zoomed fixture.

I am not going to sit and argue with you. In a perfect world all keepers would have a solarmeter 6.5. But these are expensive and most can not just come out of pocket with $250.

All I can say is I just bought 6 of the vivarium electronics fixtures. 3 in a 36 inch and 3 in a 48 inch. ALL 6 have perfect reflectors that I tested with a solarmeter and in my opinion these are better quality then a zoomed fixture.
[EDIT:] First, you're not arguing with me; you're arguing with Dr. Frances Baines. See link below.

Who said anything about a ZooMed fixture? I was just pointing out that some of these 3rd party fixtures can have iffy reflectors, and without a meter, it's difficult to tell.
And please note, Vivarium Electronics is one of those on the list.

1594842504707.png

But wait... There's MORE! :)

https://www.docdroid.net/rzaxveu/an-issue-with-sunblaster-t5-ho-reflectors-pdf

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom