What type of enclosure would you recommend for me?

What are your guys' thoughts on the ones linked below? Of course I wouldn't use the colored options, but are they alright choices in terms of giving the plants good light and being safe for the cham?

https://www.amazon.com/MingDak-Aquarium-Freshwater-Aquariums-Extendable/dp/B07VZFSKLH/ref=sr_1_7?crid=7QFI881CDXJH&keywords=terrarium+plant+light&qid=1642311048&sprefix=terrarium+plant+light,aps,115&sr=8-7&th=1
11W? (If I'm reading the page correctly). You'd need 6-7 of them to equal the 70W Sansi.

Same.

This one is 15W vs. 70W for about the same price.

12W

The 600W in the description is deceiving; below it says it's actually 65W. It's got some intriguing features, but the 1-star review had something to say...
I followed the instructions carefully for this product but I've noticed that it burn the leaves of my plants. I adjusted the lights 2ft above the recommended and set the intensity to 60% its a little better but for some reason I don't trust this product. I still have one of them that's sealed unopened. These lights needs to be vigorously tested before marketing . I will be returning these lights.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-...viewpnt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B093BLNT14#RV749K5BR339D
ICBW, but several of the 5-star reviews read like "fake reviews"/marketing/advertising.

I haven't gone through the questions.

Looks a little more along the lines of the ones being recommended? Sorry, I'm not really that knowledgeable about grow lights, but I found this when I searched for 6500k grow light on amazon. Also trying not to break the bank 😆
Again, if I read correctly, most of those lights are for aquariums/terrariums, which are generally horizontally oriented. Chameleon enclosures are vertically oriented; they need a light (or lights) powerful enough to reach the nether regions of an enclosure without burning the plants near the top. (Of course this goes along with placing sun-loving plants near the top and shade-loving plants at/near the bottom.)

IDK anyone here using any of the above lights (but would welcome input). I know at least a dozen (and there are likely many more) who are using the 70W Sansi with excellent results.

I’m a big fan of solid sided hybrid i love upstate as well in the northern US and with the harsh winters and hot summers I like the solid sides as they retain heat and ESPECIALLY humidity since the ac and heaters battles dry out a lot it’s a struggle at nights I guess it also depends on the ambient humidity of the room you keep your chameleon in

I’m a big fan of solid sided hybrid i love upstate as well in the northern US and with the harsh winters and hot summers I like the solid sides as they retain heat and ESPECIALLY humidity since the ac and heaters battles dry out a lot it’s a struggle at nights I guess it also depends on the ambient humidity of the room you keep your chameleon in
Just keep in mind with solid sided lower the wattage of basking light by a lot and experiment also definitely don’t leave it on all day unless you keep it far enough away or you would cook your chameleon and lower the misting sessions. I mist my screen enclosures about 3-4 minutes per session but my pvc are only a few seconds and still have droplets in the morning

11W? (If I'm reading the page correctly). You'd need 6-7 of them to equal the 70W Sansi.

Same.

This one is 15W vs. 70W for about the same price.

12W

The 600W in the description is deceiving; below it says it's actually 65W. It's got some intriguing features, but the 1-star review had something to say...

ICBW, but several of the 5-star reviews read like "fake reviews"/marketing/advertising.

I haven't gone through the questions.

Again, if I read correctly, most of those lights are for aquariums/terrariums, which are generally horizontally oriented. Chameleon enclosures are vertically oriented; they need a light (or lights) powerful enough to reach the nether regions of an enclosure without burning the plants near the top. (Of course this goes along with placing sun-loving plants near the top and shade-loving plants at/near the bottom.)

IDK anyone here using any of the above lights (but would welcome input). I know at least a dozen (and there are likely many more) who are using the 70W Sansi with excellent results.
If you don't like the 70W Sansi for some reason, they have alternatives, but mostly floods that might require 2 or more for a 2x2x4 enclosure. All have the 5 yr. lifespan/warranty. From personal experience, next best thing to the 70W is a couple of 36W floods.
https://www.sansiled.com/collections/grow-light-bulbs

If you don't like the 70W Sansi for some reason, they have alternatives, but mostly floods that might require 2 or more for a 2x2x4 enclosure. All have the 5 yr. lifespan/warranty. From personal experience, next best thing to the 70W is a couple of 36W floods.
https://www.sansiled.com/collections/grow-light-bulbs

It's not that I don't like the sansi, it's actually not bad priced or anything, it's that it's pretty "thick" and bulky, and with my enclosure being 36" tall (Only this size because my species is very small) there is like barely much room with the basking light, UVB light, and LED plant light, let alone a spot for the fogger tube and mister heads lol! My reason for linking pretty similar ones is that they're thinner, but then again as you mentioned they're also meant for horizontal enclosures. Do you have any ideas of ones that are thinner, since I'm not trying to reach 4', just 3' - Not sure if that makes a difference! Sorry for all the questions, this lighting stuff kind of confuses me haha

I ended up getting an 18x18x36 reptibreeze and covered two sides with clear shower curtain to hold in humidity and keep temps lower at night. Only got this size because as I mentioned above because my species is much smaller than a panther or veiled. Eventually I will absolutely be getting a solid sided hybrid 2x2x4 but at the moment not only does my wallet need to recover a bit, but they're out of stock too :cautious:

It's not that I don't like the sansi, it's actually not bad priced or anything, it's that it's pretty "thick" and bulky, and with my enclosure being 36" tall (Only this size because my species is very small) there is like barely much room with the basking light, UVB light, and LED plant light, let alone a spot for the fogger tube and mister heads lol! My reason for linking pretty similar ones is that they're thinner, but then again as you mentioned they're also meant for horizontal enclosures. Do you have any ideas of ones that are thinner, since I'm not trying to reach 4', just 3' - Not sure if that makes a difference! Sorry for all the questions, this lighting stuff kind of confuses me haha

I ended up getting an 18x18x36 reptibreeze and covered two sides with clear shower curtain to hold in humidity and keep temps lower at night. Only got this size because as I mentioned above because my species is much smaller than a panther or veiled. Eventually I will absolutely be getting a solid sided hybrid 2x2x4 but at the moment not only does my wallet need to recover a bit, but they're out of stock too :cautious:
If it helps, I have one on an 18x18x24 exo terra with a linear UVB, a small dome lamp, and a fan. So it can fit
407CF968-C8F7-4500-87A6-0445A88C79ED.jpeg
2FD92F20-F915-4DCF-98AD-CD5FCD01AD72.jpeg

I did that with my hoehnelii

Oh awesome!! And the light isn't too heavy or hot to go directly on top of the screen?
I have it mounted above the screen about 2-3 inches. They do put out some heat. I’ve never tested it sitting on the screen to measure how warm it gets below, but I would suspect it’s similar to a low wattage basking bulb

How thin does it have to be? They're thinner than any T5 UVB fixture. I know the website says something like 4", but that's only if you include the fold-away handle (not usually needed). The actual light is 1.5" at its thickest point.

I think it would be just fine in a 3'H enclosure as well. Bottom foot of my enclosure is all pots & trunks anyway.

Questions are how we learn.

For future reference, there's no such thing as a "too big" enclosure. ;)
In the wild, they have the whole island of Madagascar. :)

How thin does it have to be? They're thinner than any T5 UVB fixture. I know the website says something like 4", but that's only if you include the fold-away handle (not usually needed). The actual light is 1.5" at its thickest point.

I think it would be just fine in a 3'H enclosure as well. Bottom foot of my enclosure is all pots & trunks anyway.

Questions are how we learn.

For future reference, there's no such thing as a "too big" enclosure. ;)
In the wild, they have the whole island of Madagascar. :)
It's the depth that was a concern for me, I liked how the other ones were 18" or so long but only a few inches deep, so they don't take much screen space up, if that makes more sense? The height isn't a concern for me

Does anyone have recommendations on good thermometer/hygrometers? I bought one that was perfect at home depot but.....it didn't agree with the water from the misters lol! Doesn't have to be fancy

IC. Perhaps a couple of floods? Two 36W Sansi grow floods would have half the footprint for approx. the same wattage.
https://www.amazon.com/SANSI-Daylight-Spectrum-Sunlight-Greenhouse/dp/B07BRKG7X1?th=1
Not a bad idea!! The only problem is that then I would have to find a way to hook them up to power, since those are just the bulbs. I'll have to look around, but it does seem that the original sansi might be the best and most cost effective option I've got

Back
Top Bottom