What type of chameleon

Jamall

The top picture is an Elliot's chameleon second was sold to me as a Rudis I don't agree 100 percent with that look how similar. Anyone have any input the Cham had a uri and didn't last long just curious
y6yta4yb.jpg
and here are other Rudis I received at the same time
e4ezy8u7.jpg
nyze6yza.jpg

That diamond pattern with the blue eye is pretty unique tho I think I did read somewhere that that is a color morph of Rudis the blue eye I just think it looks sooo similar to the Elliot's and different from the rids that came with it

The top photo is an Elliots Chameleon (Trioceros ellioti). The bottom photo is not a Trioceros rudis but a Trioceros sternfeldi. Unfortunately the term ‘rudis’ is misused in the hobby. They are rarely, if ever, collected because due to the high elevation in which they live.

You can tell the difference between the species by the casque shape (it is higher and broader on the sternfeldi), size/shape (ellioti are thinner and longer) and the more rugose nature of the squamation on the sternfeldi. Both these species belong to the ‘bitaeniatus complex’ which explains the close resemblance between the two. Both species are easily sexed by the larger tail base on the males.

Here are a few pictures of the ‘Red’ sternfeldi from Mount Hanang.

Cheers,
Trace

The top photo is an Elliots Chameleon (Trioceros ellioti). The bottom photo is not a Trioceros rudis but a Trioceros sternfeldi. Unfortunately the term ‘rudis’ is misused in the hobby. They are rarely, if ever, collected because due to the high elevation in which they live.

You can tell the difference between the species by the casque shape (it is higher and broader on the sternfeldi), size/shape (ellioti are thinner and longer) and the more rugose nature of the squamation on the sternfeldi. Both these species belong to the ‘bitaeniatus complex’ which explains the close resemblance between the two. Both species are easily sexed by the larger tail base on the males.

Here are a few pictures of the ‘Red’ sternfeldi from Mount Hanang.

Cheers,
Trace

Thank you that was very helpful what do u think the bottom two are ?

Thank you that was very helpful what do u think the bottom two are ?

Both are Trioceros sternfeldi. The one on the left (or second last depending on how this page loads) is a male and the one on the right (last photo) is a female. I say that because of the more pronounced dorsal crest. It also extends on to the proximal part of the tail. Males tend to be a little less bulky than the girls. If you provide a tail base shot, I can sex them for sure.

All of those animals will be wild caught specimens so do take care in acclimating them properly.

This was actually the first week Tanzania opened up these animals all died within 4 days of upper respiratory infection claimed the male within 6 hours i was just looking through pictures and a red flag went up when I saw the diamond patterning in the Elliot's . This is very interesting to me

Back
Top Bottom