What type of chameleon is this pls?

sassyNjoe

Can someone tell me what type of chameleon this is pls? I have uploaded a pic, hope it worked lol x

Attachments

• cham.jpg
    cham.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 301
Metabollic bone disease. You probably should only buy it if you're going to be able to take it to a vet and get it the proper care it deserves. Poor thing.

Look how that chams limbs look bowed. I'd get more pics of that cham before purchasing. From the pics Im looking at her limbs do not look normal. MBd stands for Metabolic Bone Desease. Its often from improper lighting or lack or calcium in the diet or lack of D3 supplementation. Many factors contribute to MBD. Who are you buying this cham from?

MBD is Metabolic Bone Disease and it will require a vet visit and a proper set up with UVB lighting and a calcium supplement. If you do buy her make sure you get her to a vet as soon as possible to be looked at and get the medicine she needs.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated. What cost would I be looking at? She said it was a healthy 5 month old. Can you tell anything from this pic I have as well pls? x

Attachments

• cham1.jpg
    cham1.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 209
If this is your first chameleon. Run do not walk away from this purchse. You will prob not be able to rescue this animal. Its hard enuff for a newbie to get started with all the necessary husbandry requirements for keeping a chameleon healthy and stress free. Startiing with an animal that will require multiple vet visits and a specially set up cage with a specific supplementation regimen is really not the way for you to start your chameleon keeping hobby. Jmpo. I feel for this animal but its not in the animals or this persons best interest to take on this situation.

She's showing she is stressed with her black coloration. Prices vary, but it's going to be more expensive to get her the proper care she needs. Are you prepared to do that?

I agree with Texas. If you have no experience with Chameleons you should really pass on this one. She's going to need alot of extra care to make her healthy.

She is not healthy, and I wouldn't recommend buying her unless you know what to do to get her better. You could easily be looking at a couple hundred bucks in vet costs. Usually an exotic vet visit costs about $35-50, and between one thing and another you will not be paying less than $100 probably. Her bone disease doesn't look as severe in the second photo but does she also look like she has edema? Plus if she's been kept on sand like that... eh, I just have a gut feeling that there might be stuff going on in her digestive tract due to the sand too.

Poor girl, but I wouldn't buy her unless you are ready and willing for the responsibility.

Thanks for your advice, it would be my 1st experience with chameleons so I'm going to decline. Do you think I should advise her that the chameleon needs vet care? She may already know but that's all I can do really. Poor thing x

Her limbs do look better in the second pic but they dont seem straight and muscular in my estimation. Also the sand substrate is a definite no-no so that tells me that this persons husbandry is lacking at best. Do you know if she has access to UVB from a proper fluorescent tube bulb? 5.0 reptisun is generally used by most cham keepers. Is this cham getting supplements currently? If so what and how often? Does the current owner know what gutloading is? If so what do they gutload with? these are all questions I would ask before even looking at pics of the animal. ;)

Thanks for your advice, it would be my 1st experience with chameleons so I'm going to decline. Do you think I should advise her that the chameleon needs vet care? She may already know but that's all I can do really. Poor thing x

You can let her know, but not everyone wants to hear it. If you're looking for your first healthy cham I would suggest our sponsors. They sell them with everything you need in packages to maintain their health.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/index.php?page=sponsors

You can let her know, but not everyone wants to hear it. If you're looking for your first healthy cham I would suggest our sponsors. They sell them with everything you need in packages to maintain their health.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/index.php?page=sponsors

Yeah check with FL Chams or Tiki Tiki Reptiles. Either one sells healthy 3 month or older veiled babies. They also sell all the supplies needed to get you started. I think if you search the gen dicussion forum there is a thread for newbies who need a supply checklist. I hated to be the one to tell you about the MBD but I wish I had had someone tell me things like that back when I got my first panther from an unscrupulous seller back in the '90's. Good luck with your search and I hope I saved you from heartbreak.

Thanks again to you all for your help. I have explained that a friend advised she may have MBD and needed to see a vet. I don't think she really knows much about them either and hope she will get her some help. I think I will stick to bearded dragons and snakes, they seem a lot easier to care for :D x

you should recommend her to check out the forums to get an ideal what she is looking at. She could probably benefit and the lizard too.

Sassy, dont let me scare you off. If you start with a healthy cham your chances of having an enjoyable keeping experience are vastly improved. Unfortunately, its the new comers who all too often get stuck with these rescues because you dont know what tell tale signs to look for and you dont know where to go to find healthy chams from respectable breeders. So stay around read and learn. I think you'll like the cham community. And btw I will have a cpl of clutches of captive bred nosy falys for sale in a few months so learn your husbandry and start with a blue faly. lol j/k

I agree with Texas, I sadly was one of the unlucky people who took in a VERY sick Cham as my first and 3 days later, he passed. I had no idea how to care for a Chameleon or had even seen one in person so had no idea he was sick at all. Now I have a healthy 6 month old Sambava Panther Cham and a 5 month old female Sambava that I very much enjoy caring for. Once you get the supplies and husbandry down, it really isn't all that hard to care for a Cham. A little more nerve wracking than most reptiles but well worth it. :D

Back
Top Bottom