What type of chameleon is this pls?

Just thought I'd let you know that the chameleons owner said they were old pics (last summer) and if she had MBD she would be dead by now. Apparently I have wasted her time :S Oh well, can't do anything else! x

ask if she will allow you to rescue the animal so long as you provide vet documents claiming her sickness. sometimes people let you rescue animals if they are sick free of charge if you prove they infact are sick. its better you make a great attempt to save the chameleon than make no attempt to save it at all. she appears to have signs of mbd in her back left knee area, but she looks rescuable for sure. i think she could make a great recovery if she got a calcium injection and was supplimented properly with all essential calcium powders and multi vit's.

She doesn't believe me about anything possibly being wrong with her and has asked if I will show more pics of her to 'my friend'. She claims the original pics were taken last April literally a week after she bought her x

Pics while being nice do not tell the whole story. Ask her ome common husbandry questions such as I had posted to you earlier. If she is truly an educated keeper she would be willing to tell you what type of powders she uses for supplements and her schedule of dusting. She should have also explained why she's using sand as a substrate? She should have given a breakdown of what feeders she uses and the amts being fed. All these are basic info if she hasnt supplied any of that then just run away!

She already googled it and said from what she read the chameleon wouldn't of lasted weeks. Yer I've just asked about calium supplements etc x

I agree your going to have a happy and successful experience if you start with a healthy young cham from the beginning. This species are not really expensive in the US, its money better spent.
Please stay, learn and share with us, Ive found this forum to be the most friendly and helpful that Ive ever come across!
2 years and counting for me and I'm still buzzed with chameleon keeping and my own chams are healthy and happy thanks to all I have learnt and continue to learn here.
Welcome, we look forward to getting to know you. :)

Dont waste your time, money, or heartache on that cham. Trust me there is another out there for you that is meant for you. It can be hard to walk away, I know I thought I could save one myself and I had more exp than you do. I learned quickly your asking for problems you really dont want to take on. Did she say why she's suddenly selling this "healthy chameleon"? Common for people/scumbags to "dump" their problems and lack of care off on others who feel compasionate about the animals.

I must admit she seems quite worried now and has said any info I can give her would be gr8. She has moved house and her landlord won't allow her to keep anymore pets, hence the sale. The chameleon is at her her parents house for the time being and she is going to take some more pictures tomorrow to get some advise.
I'm not in the US I'm in the UK so I would have to try and find a reputable breeder here.
If she does send the pictures would you have a look for me and I can let her know what you think maybe wrong? Thanks again :D x

I must admit she seems quite worried now and has said any info I can give her would be gr8. She has moved house and her landlord won't allow her to keep anymore pets, hence the sale. The chameleon is at her her parents house for the time being and she is going to take some more pictures tomorrow to get some advise.
I'm not in the US I'm in the UK so I would have to try and find a reputable breeder here.
If she does send the pictures would you have a look for me and I can let her know what you think maybe wrong? Thanks again :D x

Why dont you tell her about the forums and she can post up and get the help she needs. Its nice you're trying to help her remedy the issues easier probably for her to get direct help id imagine if its even possible for her to get online.

I'd be happy to help you make an informed purchase. I also know someone who may be able to help you find a reputable breeder. One forum member from the Uk on here who is very nice is: Miss Lily. She has veiled chams and could prob point you in the right direction. ;)

I said she would able to get help from forums so hopefully she will :D
I think I will look a lot more into keeping chameleons before I make any decision on purchasing one now. I might even go back to a good old beardie as I know how to care for them properly :D

:( poor little mite....

Following this thread with interest....one thing that jumped out at me is the statement that the Cham was not only healthy but 5 months old ???
I thought the owner knowmsays she owned her since April ! :mad:

I hope the Cham gets the help it needs......and the owner also.

I couldn't understand that either. She told me under 1 year and I found a post on another site where she was selling her as being 5 months old :confused: x

I so hope that the lil cham gets the help she needs now w/ all the advise! Something seems off w/ all the info you've given... you say seller said she a healthy 5 month old chameleon but original pictures were taken last April, hummm- something not right there! That's 8 months right there & on top of that she isn't a baby in those pictures, maybe young but not a baby. Plus you didn't know what kinda of chameleon, which makes me wonder... did the owner? Weird. All I can say is that I hope that the current owner is truly concerned & will get her some help. Having a sick cham is work. Forum members are right about it being even harder if it's your first cham. I know from experience & am so grateful that they've been here to help me (so a shout out thanks to all of the forum members from me :)). It will cost more w/ the vet bills/ meds but if you can do it & are up for the challenge it can be a great gift for that cham, if not stay clear. Good that you came here to this forum first. As already said if your decide to still get a cham there are some great breeder on this forum. Best of luck!

I have a friend of a friend who rescued a Veiled chameleon last year with pretty severe MBD. It was her brother's chameleon and he never had a UV light. She never took him to the vet and this chameleon is still alive. He's now about 2 I think, so it is possible for a chameleon to live with MBD for awhile. I've only seen pictures of this chameleon and tried to convince her to take him to a vet, but she refused :(

Just thought I'd let you know that the chameleons owner said they were old pics (last summer) and if she had MBD she would be dead by now. Apparently I have wasted her time :S Oh well, can't do anything else! x

She is lying. I thought she said tha cham was 5 months old. If the pic was from last summer it wouldn't have been born yet. I really do recommend our sponsors. I just bought a beautiful veiled from tiki tiki.

Thanks for your advice, it would be my 1st experience with chameleons so I'm going to decline. Do you think I should advise her that the chameleon needs vet care? She may already know but that's all I can do really. Poor thing x

yes - and in those photos - i havent seen any leaves? and theres standing water for it to drink from? - these people clearly know nothing about correct husbandry...

Back
Top Bottom