what to feed a baby veiled chameleon

Bugsy23

what should I feed a baby veiled chameleon from about 2-6 months. Are 1/4 inch crickets and 1/4 inch mealworms ok or are they to big for a baby. Is there anything else?

Welcome to the forums. I keep veileds, panthers and a parsonii. For right now 1/4 inch crickets should work as long as he's not too tiny. House flies are good and small silkworms. As he gets older he'll eat larger crickets. I'm attaching my blog below for new keepers. Hopefully it with help you out with the general care.
lhttps://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/jannb/325-info-new-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

It depends on how large the chameleon is. At 6 months, most veileds are very large and can eat anything. At 2 months, mine can usually take 1/2" insects. But it depends on how fast and large he has grown.

Any good insects about the size of the crickets you are feeding or a bit smaller are fine. If he's eating 1/4" crickets- he will probably still go for flightless fruit flies. If he can tackle a little larger- cultured houseflies are good. Also baby roaches like dubia or lobsters, baby mantids, baby walking sticks, baby superworms, small reptiworms (soldier fly larvae), termites, etc, etc.

Thanx all i am really happy for getting this chameleon and jannb if you dont mind can you please where did u purchase your chameleons

questions on crickets and baby vieles

i have a 2month old vieled and pet store gave me med/large size crickets. think he will eat them or should i get small ones? hes a tiny guy so i wanna make sure he eats rite ect. looking also for any tips for this 1st time owener!! tys:p

crickets and babies

have a 2month old vieled and pet store gave me med/large size crickets. think he will eat them or should i get small ones? hes a tiny guy so i wanna make sure he eats rite ect. looking also for any tips for this 1st time owener!! tys:p

You can pretty much have your pick of baby cham food at www.SmallPetFeeders.com. Right now, we have fruit flies and dwarf white pill bugs, along with small Dubia roaches (I recommend these for essential chitin, but not too many without moist worms too).

If you have any questions, or would like to discuss it further, shoot me a PM.

Have a blessed day,
-Dave
SPF

At 2 months fruit flies are way too small for feeders. 1/2" crickets are perfect. They will be happy with those. I never could get my 2 month old guys interested in anything else until about 4 months, then the worms, etc. were well received.

I have a baby veiled chameleon (male) 3 minthes old and he is not eating I got him the day before easter as a gift. I have him in a glass exo terra cage mini tall size with plenty fake plat and branches for him to climb and hide. I have not handled him and I have a 5.0 uvb bulb and a basking light basking temp 95°. I have offered good to him multiple times a day. Ive been feeding him 1/4 inch crickets he is about 4 inches also I mist his cage often also I have a little dripper zoo med brand. Im so worryed he is going to die. He is my first chameleon and I have crested geckos but chameleon are much more work. Someone please help me

I have a baby veiled chameleon (male) 3 minthes old and he is not eating I got him the day before easter as a gift. I have him in a glass exo terra cage mini tall size with plenty fake plat and branches for him to climb and hide. I have not handled him and I have a 5.0 uvb bulb and a basking light basking temp 95°. I have offered good to him multiple times a day. Ive been feeding him 1/4 inch crickets he is about 4 inches also I mist his cage often also I have a little dripper zoo med brand. Im so worryed he is going to die. He is my first chameleon and I have crested geckos but chameleon are much more work. Someone please help me

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

Thanks, but I am wondering why he is not eating I am meeting all of those requirements. Could it be that he is not used to his new enviroment yet because I have only had him for 2 and a half days?

That is exactly why most likely. Your basking temp is also far too high if it's at 95 degrees. At 3 months it should be at 85 degrees at most.

It's definitely because of the move like it was stated above, it seemed like forever till my female started eating after first moving in. He also may be a chameleon who doesn't like his reflection in the glass if it continues longer than the settling period.

Thanks for all of your help he just are ten small crickets if anyone has crested gecko questions I could a nswer all of yours im an expert with those.

Back
Top Bottom