What to do with my veiled eggs during evacuation?

jannb

Chameleon Enthusiast
We will be evacuation the FL Keys and I have prepared for all my critters but what about my chameleon eggs. I have thought about putting them in a cooler with a thermostat. Does anyone else have any ideas?

I would mark the tops so that if theynroll you can put them back up the right way.
What temperature are you keeping them at?

Im a bit confused. I thought most cham eggs could just be kept at 80ishF (aka room temp) in a sealed container and left alone. I guess you could move them if you think you wont have a house when you get back.

I guess the rule of thumb is:
Keep them sealed
Keep them from rotating

Ive seen people just put an egg in a baby food jar with good media, on a shelf, with a lid with no holes.

I guess you could move them if you think you wont have a house when you get back.

That's exactly the problem - this storm is going to destroy A LOT of houses. Jann will be evacuating, but a bouncy car ride isn't ideal for the eggs. It's a rough situation, and with all of her animals the eggs are just one more worry compiled.

Eggs are ready. Thanks to Trace!

We are heading out in the morning.

IMG_1636.JPG
IMG_1637.JPG

I would mark the tops so that if theynroll you can put them back up the right way.
What temperature are you keeping them at?

Thanks Lynda!

I marked the tops and put a tad more vermiculite around the eggs so maybe they will stay in place. I've been keeping them around 78 degrees.

Where will you be going? I suggest putting some bubble wrap around the containers, inside of the bins. Towels and such won't protect against a fall or hard bump. Wishing you safe travels and an untouched home to come back to!

Back
Top Bottom