What to do with large low exoterra?!

Alexander1

Avid Member
I recently came up on a large low exoterra with a double t5 fixture for $50! Lol obviously this enclosure isn’t suited for what I normally keep , it has a crack on the back glass panel, i siliconed it for now, I plan on making a custom background so I’m not too worried about it but I am keeping it in mind. Anyone have any ideas on what to put in it?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 128
I believe the enclosure is 36” wide by 18” x 18” , so it’s a decent size . Was thinking pigmy enclosure but I worry about the crack

If it's at least 18 inches tall, then pygmy chameleons would definitely be suitable. Though fruit flies are something that you would have to deal with. When focusing on a varied diet, fruit flies and crickets are definitely the way to go.

If the enclosure is 12 inches tall, I think dart frogs would may be a better fit. But many species of dart frogs utilize vertical space as well. So you would want to look for a species that stays relatively close to the floor. You could always look into other amphibians such as salamanders or some newt species. Or red-eye croc skinks comes to mind; however, croc skinks are incredibly shy are rarely come out.

The biggest question would be- what do you like? Then go from there.
Example: Now I am interested in Carnivorous Plants, so I would do a terrarium with those and no animals (maybe a small salamander species.
Next week it could be pac-man frogs or a colony of communal tarantulas. So many options and you are the artist. Share what ya do?
photo is not mine--- google search- thank you google
1645106665962.png

Nice set-up (y)

You could go with an arid species. The Malagasy Iguanas are pretty terrestrial. I used to keep Oplurus grandidieri however never got them to breed. Or the 3 eyed Iguana. However a colony of Side Blotched Lizards is something I've always wanted. Very neat little critters.

Dang! I knew there would be suggestions that I would have to look up (y) .. But that is what I like and how I learn.. Even though this is not my tank, your ideas are awesome. The side blotched seem similar to the fence lizards. Good choice if OP is a lizard person.

Dang! I knew there would be suggestions that I would have to look up (y) .. But that is what I like and how I learn.. Even though this is not my tank, your ideas are awesome. The side blotched seem similar to the fence lizards. Good choice if OP is a lizard person.
Yeah I love them. You see them pop up from time to time, usually at expos. But have have a very unique and complex social structure based on throat color. The blue throats are very communal and can even keep multiple males in the same habitat. I used to keep 2.2 in a 10gal about 5 years ago.

Cool! I have had red and yellow headed agamas, but they would be too big for this set-up. At the reptile show there were some micro geckos that were really cool but not for me. (y) You are getting me thinking about the horny toads-- They sell supplements to substitute the acids required for digestion (I have been out of the loop for many years now).

No pics of that time frame- no camera- no cell phone- nada. mid 1990's Bad time for no photos. Had uros, Fuelleborni, corn snakes, monkey tail skink, dwarf seahorses, my first Veileds, hedgehogs, agamas, and some other critters dogs and bluetail skinks. :(Lived in Memphis Tn.

Started building it out. Maybe help make my mind up on what I’m going to add in here. I plan on planting this once I figure out what’s goin in so I can figure out the substrate and temps

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 105
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 106
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 109
Back
Top Bottom