What to do when you have a power outage

Veild Cham Owner

Avid Member
So this year we are assuming a hard cold and tough winter will hit us this winter. We have lost power before but I have never had a chameleon when it happened. Just in case we do loose power I want to be prepared so I would know what to do about his lights. I have his water taken care of (I have manual misters) but his lights. I was first thinking to bring him down stairs in front of the fire but I would be afraid of him inhaling to much smoke (we do have a flume so it would go up that) but I am still catious about that. Any ideas on how to keep him warm?

I have a big old ice chest with a remote thermometer in it. And I trow a couple of instant handwarmers in. Like the ones we use for shipping chameleon with! Add or remove handwarmers as needed to keep the temps in the safe low range. The cooler temps slows them down! Good luck!

So this year we are assuming a hard cold and tough winter will hit us this winter. We have lost power before but I have never had a chameleon when it happened. Just in case we do loose power I want to be prepared so I would know what to do about his lights. I have his water taken care of (I have manual misters) but his lights. I was first thinking to bring him down stairs in front of the fire but I would be afraid of him inhaling to much smoke (we do have a flume so it would go up that) but I am still catious about that. Any ideas on how to keep him warm?
If you have a hunting store they have these things to keep your feet or hands warm you sneeze it to activate stays warm for 4 to 6 hours it works pretty good , for our beardies and gecko . That's what im going to do for Frances .

The hand warmers work well, if you have regularly cold winters and power outages during the. You may want to look into getting a small back up generator, it's always good to have them for both the reptiles and the feeder colonies.

The hand warmers work well, if you have regularly cold winters and power outages during the. You may want to look into getting a small back up generator, it's always good to have them for both the reptiles and the feeder colonies.
The last time we had a power outage was 2 years ago but it lasted for like 2 days. If we do have more than 3 then we might look into one, especially bc of him

The hand warmers sound like a great idea. The ones I use hunting last about 8 hours. I must live on a very reliable power grid because my outages are few and far between, and when we get them they only last a few minutes. I use an AVS power station. It conditions the power going in, and provides a few hours of back-up when needed. I run my whole automation system off of it.

Be careful with the hand warmers. They can get very, very hot. There are heat packs used for reptile shipping (uniheat brand) that regulate temperature a little better and can last for 24 hours. You can get them in Amazon. It would good to invest in some of those. You'll still need to wrap them up to prevent burns, but they would be a better option than the hand warmers.

Keep them dark and don't mist them, feed them or interact with them. Keep them at 50F and above, in the darkened state and they will slow their metabolism, not be stressed, and sleep, until power is restored. In zone 7, it takes a while to go below 50F, in a well insulated house. I'm not sure what zone you're in, put the warmers are a good back up.

Generator is only way to go for multi day outages and or large collections. We had to evacuate for hurricane Matthew and lost power for 4 days, 5500watt generac ran my entire reptile room; all the lighting/ mistkings for 9 adult chameleon enclosures, ~ 50 babies, the incubator and a ten tub snake rack plus the main house fridge.

Be careful with the hand warmers. They can get very, very hot. There are heat packs used for reptile shipping (uniheat brand) that regulate temperature a little better and can last for 24 hours. You can get them in Amazon. It would good to invest in some of those. You'll still need to wrap them up to prevent burns, but they would be a better option than the hand warmers.
Thanks for the reminders! Yup, one or two handwarmers in a 20 gallon ice chest attatched to the lid should keep them cozy for many hours! I have each chameleon in their own container inside the ice chest with a remote thermometer to keep a eye on the temps inside the ice chest!

Back
Top Bottom