What to do when chameleon is laying eggs

D.Wyeth

I was wondering what I’m supposed to do when my panther chameleon is laying eggs. I’m setting up her new cage to have a bucket with soil in it so I don’t have to worry about transferring her to a new location for her to lay eggs. But I was wondering if I have to do anything specific once she starts. Do I keep the lights on a timer or do I leave them on? Do I turn off my automatic mister or keep it on? I wasn’t expecting a female so I’m still doing research into the whole egg laying process. Any help is greatly appreciated

Hi. You’ll basically leave everything the same. Keep your lights and mister on their same schedule. You won’t need to worry about feeding her and whatever you do, don’t disturb her. Once she enters her bin and starts digging, cover just the visible parts of your enclosure. I use an old cotton sheet that I’ve made little peek holes in so I can discretely monitor. Some dig a few different holes until they like one. She may sleep in her tunnel at night. It is a long process that usually takes a couple of days. You’ll know she’s all done when she is sitting in her usual basking spot looking thinner and dirty and she’s completely covered her tunnels. You’ll feed her well for 2-3 days after and then start feeding her 3-4 feeders either 3 days a week or every other day. Keep her basking temps no higher than 80-82 to help slow her metabolism so she doesn’t feel as hungry. The reduced feeding and temps will help to reduce egg production and/or laying frequency, which in turn will help prolong her life. Just in case you need it, here’s a graphic for lay bins.
AF7FC75C-8E52-4E9F-BA43-1EC311688C56.jpeg

Hi. You’ll basically leave everything the same. Keep your lights and mister on their same schedule. You won’t need to worry about feeding her and whatever you do, don’t disturb her. Once she enters her bin and starts digging, cover just the visible parts of your enclosure. I use an old cotton sheet that I’ve made little peek holes in so I can discretely monitor. Some dig a few different holes until they like one. She may sleep in her tunnel at night. It is a long process that usually takes a couple of days. You’ll know she’s all done when she is sitting in her usual basking spot looking thinner and dirty and she’s completely covered her tunnels. You’ll feed her well for 2-3 days after and then start feeding her 3-4 feeders either 3 days a week or every other day. Keep her basking temps no higher than 80-82 to help slow her metabolism so she doesn’t feel as hungry. The reduced feeding and temps will help to reduce egg production and/or laying frequency, which in turn will help prolong her life. Just in case you need it, here’s a graphic for lay bins.
View attachment 289181
Thanks a lot. You answered all my question wonderfully. The soil I got was organic with some sand mixed in

One more thing...if things don't go the way @MissSkittles described and you find her sitting low in the cage, lethargic, sleeping during the day or she ghost lays, get her to a vet before she gets to far gone to help. These are all indications of possible eggbinding.
(Ghost laying is digging the hole, acting like she's laying the eggs, filling in the hole and returning to the branches without actually laying the eggs.)

One more thing...if things don't go the way @MissSkittles described and you find her sitting low in the cage, lethargic, sleeping during the day or she ghost lays, get her to a vet before she gets to far gone to help. These are all indications of possible eggbinding.
(Ghost laying is digging the hole, acting like she's laying the eggs, filling in the hole and returning to the branches without actually laying the eggs.)
Thank you for the advice. I’ll watch out for that

Back
Top Bottom