What to call a group of chameleons?

absolutbill

Chameleon Enthusiast
So I was listening to a podcast (We Got This) the other day and they were talking about animal group names, like a school of fish, etc. I realized I had no idea what a group of chameleons was called. Now yes, I realize that they are a clutch when hatched and are pretty solitary after that, but wouldn't it be cool to come up with a name so that if you had a bunch of Melleri hanging out you knew how to refer to them? I Googled it and could only find a Reddit thread about someone years ago trying to call them a Starship of Chameleons which just seems dumb to me. If any of you know an actually name for a group I'd be interested, otherwise throw out your best suggestions for what we should call them!

I like the idea - they are solitary as adults, but you do see them grouped together in certain places (pet stores, expo's, breeders). I wish I was clever, but I'm really not. If I was, I would probably try to morph a word we use to lovingly poke fun at them like:
Googly Eyes
Tree Cow
Karate Chop Hands
??

Oh snap! Just thought of the perfect one: a group of chameleons should be called a ’stress’ of chameleons—serving the dual purpose of introducing a novel use of a common word as in a ‘murder’ of crows, and possibly prompting the uninitiated to consider why such a monicker. Yes, I will hereafter begin calling a group of chams a stress of chams.

Oh snap! Just thought of the perfect one: a group of chameleons should be called a ’stress’ of chameleons—serving the dual purpose of introducing a novel use of a common word as in a ‘murder’ of crows, and possibly prompting the uninitiated to consider why such a monicker. Yes, I will hereafter begin calling a group of chams a stress of chams.
Brilliant! :)

Back
Top Bottom