What temp to incubate veiled eggs ???

gemmatony10

So confused on this one as there is so much information that differs greatly.....also is it best to have the heat source coming from the top or bottom....thanks in advance :)

I incubate them around 74F and the heat comes from the bottom. I can't say if heat coming from the top is good or bad since I've never tried it.

You're right- there are alot of conflicting opinions on this subject-but there are many different approaches that have all been met with success. Every time I put my 2 cents in on this subject, the thread seems to die. I don't know why this seems to happen- I can only 'speculate'. Lots of people use lots of different approaches. You can't say one is wrong or right. All I can say is personally I have always put the eggs into an incubator at about 76-78F for the first 6 weeks of development. I used a simple incubator that was built for birds that I tweaked to accomodate reptiles. After 6 weeks, I would remove them from the incubator and place then into a closet that would remain in the low 70sF. I would let them stay at these temperatures for roughly 4 months. At the last 2-2 and a half months of development, I would once again place them back into the incubator at 78F and slowly raise it every 2 weeks until it tops out at 80F. At this final 2 months I also try to give a very gentle misting about once a week. I was given these instructions from a breeder that would attend the Dixie reptile show back in the 90s. I have hatched 100s of Veileds and this method has generally always worked for me. I can say that I have never had a 100% hatch rate, but I generally had good luck.

Edit; I would think that placing the heat lower would make more sense, seeing how warm air typically rises. Keeping it higher might result in a cooler area at the bottom. But who knows, this might work.

Back
Top Bottom