What substrate is best

None

Most if not all of us here on the forums will advise you to keep the bottom of your Cham cage bare. While shooting at a feeder they can accidentally ingest some of the substrate which in turn can cause impaction, eventually lead to death of your Cham. Why not go crazy with lots of real plants and make the enclosure look neat that way? :)

is it ok to put a layer of calcium carbonate sand on the base of my chameleon enclosure, thanks

What species of chameleon and type of enclosure? Terrarium or screen? Contrary to the popular belief, substrate can be used if you use the right kind in the right setting.

Regardless of what kind of cham it is, the "calcium sand" is generally not recommended because it causes impactions very easily if accidentally ingested, rather than providing calcium as it says. I've seen it, people on here have seen it, and I've talked to vets who have seen it in multiple lizard species.

What species is it? Like cainschams said, it can be appropriate in some cases, but not all.

What species is it? Like cainschams said, it can be appropriate in some cases, but not all.

Yes, sorry, I was in a hurry:eek:

In a terrarium type setting I would use a substrate because you cant get as good as drainage in one as a screen cage. Using a correct substrate will help hold the humidity up in a terrarium so you do not have to water as much. Here is a good article.
http://chameleonnews.com/10JulAndersonGlass.html

If you are to get a montane species and house it in a terrarium I would go about it this way. If you are getting a veiled, panther etc I would stick with a screen cage with no substrate.

My vet suggested outdoor astro turf. He said wet paper towels can harbor bactiria after a few days. Twice a week I take it out wash it with hot water and dish soap rinse and sun dry. I have two pieces of astro turf so I have a dry one alway ready to replace the soiled one.

My vet suggested outdoor astro turf. He said wet paper towels can harbor bactiria after a few days. Twice a week I take it out wash it with hot water and dish soap rinse and sun dry. I have two pieces of astro turf so I have a dry one alway ready to replace the soiled one.

Either way, whether you keep it bare, use paper towels, news paper, or anything else, it's always going to be wet along with poop, which in turn will harbor bacteria. I myself, go in and remove any poo or water from the bottom of the cage every day. It's just me...:)

Back
Top Bottom