What substrate for enclosure with egg laying females.

Ionstorm

I have a layer of hydro balls and a layer of charcoal all divided by mesh. The original plan was to use coco fibre with some play sand mixed in.

Will this setup be suitable for egg laying females, also how deep will the top layer of substrate need to be? R. brevs (bearded pygmys) will be the species going into my setup.

Last edited:
Sounds good. I went with plain old organic soil and did a 3" thick layer. Don't forget the clean up crew! It is a MUST if you don't want mold growing where poopies were left that you didn't see.

Sounds good. I went with plain old organic soil and did a 3" thick layer. Don't forget the clean up crew! It is a MUST if you don't want mold growing where poopies were left that you didn't see.
Who's the clean up crew? :confused:

Check out dart frog forums, dart frog online stores, online vivarium stores, and biological supply places.

I hadnt forgotten about the cleanup crew, but its cold this time of year up here in Ontario and shipping they may not be possible. Therefore I will add some springtails in the spring likely.

Will the pygmy chameleons eat the springtails, or do they mostly stayed buried in the soil?

Springs are pretty small and most adult pygmies will avoid them.

I had a couple babies hatch out in the tank and seen them eating springs on occasions.

Back
Top Bottom