What Species should I Breed?

CJ's Exotics

Chameleon Enthusiast
I'm thinking of breeding chameleons (I have reptile experience and experience with breeding, so I know what to do, I will have a game plan). I learned that it is a good idea to breed some more uncommon species because you will never know if they will dissapear from the pet trade from bans on export. I'm not sure whether I should:
Get a female Tamatave Panther Chameleon for my male (They seem rarer locale wise.)
Get a pair of Carpet Chameleons
Get a pair of Mt. Kenyan Jackson's chameleons
OR Some other species.
I would love suggestions on what different members recommend and would like to see worked with.
Anybody who has lots of experience with Carpets I would love to hear about your experience with breeding them, as they are one of my top choices. @Matt Vanilla Gorilla, @jannb , @bobcochran @kinyonga @JacksJill

Last edited:
IMG_0298.JPG
IMG_0300.JPG
IMG_0301.JPG
These were taken 2 weeks ago, sorry, maybe tomorrow I will take better and more updated pictures.

How old is your little guy, and where did you get him? FL chams has been the only place I've seen that still has an active tamatave breeder, and he's beautiful.

How old is your little guy, and where did you get him? FL chams has been the only place I've seen that still has an active tamatave breeder, and he's beautiful.
My little guy is 4ish months old, and I got him from Chameleons101.com, and the guy who runs it has amazing customer service, and the prices are great!

My little guy is 4ish months old, and I got him from Chameleons101.com, and the guy who runs it has amazing customer service, and the prices are great!
Ok, thanks! I think maybe you should start with breeding tamataves since you already have one and have experience with panthers. If you get another type of Cham, then you'll have 3 chameleons plus baby's. But its your decision overall. I might be a little biased though since tamatave panthers are one of my top favorite chameleons.

Ok, thanks! I think maybe you should start with breeding tamataves since you already have one and have experience with panthers. If you get another type of Cham, then you'll have 3 chameleons plus baby's. But its your decision overall. I might be a little biased though since tamatave panthers are one of my top favorite chameleons.
Haha, I understand. That was what I was thinking, that I would have 3 adults plus babies. My only concern is that there are a lot of Panthers on the market, but not as many Carpets. If I decide to not breed tamataves, I might go with Carpets, which are gorgeous, not too many babies, require smaller enclosures, etc.

Haha, I understand. That was what I was thinking, that I would have 3 adults plus babies. My only concern is that there are a lot of Panthers on the market, but not as many Carpets. If I decide to not breed tamataves, I might go with Carpets, which are gorgeous, not too many babies, require smaller enclosures, etc.
I always say, once you have 1 animal why stop there? If you want to breed carpets and think you can handle taking care of 3 adults, then go for it. There are a lot of panthers on the market, but most are ambilobes, nosy be, and ambanjas. I really do wish more of the bigger breeders would start to focus on the more uncommon locals like sambava and tamatave.

Starting with a panther might be a good choice IMHO. I have no experience breeding carpets and very little experience keeping them. I've kept Meru Jacksons and they are great little chameleons...but didn't have many other Jacksons either. Sorry.

I always say, once you have 1 animal why stop there? If you want to breed carpets and think you can handle taking care of 3 adults, then go for it. There are a lot of panthers on the market, but most are ambilobes, nosy be, and ambanjas. I really do wish more of the bigger breeders would start to focus on the more uncommon locals like sambava and tamatave.
Starting with a panther might be a good choice IMHO. I have no experience breeding carpets and very little experience keeping them. I've kept Meru Jacksons and they are great little chameleons...but didn't have many other Jacksons either. Sorry.
Yeah, I think I might start with panthers, and then when I am more experienced with chameleon breeding, I can go for Carpets or Jackson's.

Any thing new is harder to do till you become a pro at it. Pick what you love! Rare is a good idea if there is a market for it! If you breed something that hardly anyone wants you will be stuck with the babies. Chameleons are expensive to keep and breed. The profit margin is very small. If you do it it will have to be for the love of chameleons and not for the money. Just my 2c

Any thing new is harder to do till you become a pro at it. Pick what you love! Rare is a good idea if there is a market for it! If you breed something that hardly anyone wants you will be stuck with the babies. Chameleons are expensive to keep and breed. The profit margin is very small. If you do it it will have to be for the love of chameleons and not for the money. Just my 2c
Yes, I am aware of that, I want to breed for the experience, not the money. I know that the profit margin is small, and you won't sell a lot of our animals until you build a reputation (get noticed), which can take some time.

what the hell happen to all johnstoniis that where imported about 3 years ago? I would vote to get hold on a couple and breed them. who know when they will show up again.

what the hell happen to all johnstoniis that where imported about 3 years ago? I would vote to get hold on a couple and breed them. who know when they will show up again.
T. Johnstoni look amazing! Where do you think I could get a pair of them?

Any advice on selling babies? I've heard that it can be very hard to sell babies. Also, does anybody know of good reputable breeders that sell Tamataves?

Any advice on selling babies? I've heard that it can be very hard to sell babies. Also, does anybody know of good reputable breeders that sell Tamataves?
I've heard FL chams is a great place, when I get my tamatave in a year or 2 that's where I plan to get mine unless other people start breeding them.

Back
Top Bottom