What size?

Grasshopper

Thinking of getting a Male veiled chameleon (not for breeding purposes. Just a new family memeber.) My question is should I get one as a baby, juvenile, young adult or an adult? What would you recommend?

Juvenile. That way you can watch them grow and create a bond at a crucial age. Babies are trickier to keep and aren't as hardy especially if you're shipping. I almost always recommend no younger than 3months unless you are the breeder breeding them.

Would a juvenile be ok in a 3' tall 27" wide enclosure?
I housed a juvenile from 3 1/2months to 4 1/2 months (male veiled) in a 39wide by 12deep by 19 tall with success. Mind you veileds grow very quickly! Almost doubling in size every month. You could house him in that for maybe 2 months at most. It's always best to go big at the beginning in my experience.

Roughly if you're including tail length. This was my little guy the day I brought him home.
received_2188498418069177.jpeg

And today after shedding all day.
20190328_165726.jpg

I've had him roughly 2 months and he's about 5 months old now.

That's amazing. Grasshopper hasn't shed yet. Had her a month yesterday. Waiting to experience that. I was told she was 7 months when I got her I've read once they get older the shed less.

Yes as they get older it's more like every 2 months and they will shed in parts. 1 day the head, 1 day the tail, etc. Yes watching the transformation has been the most enjoyable part thus far! And not a problem that's what we're here for :)

im just going to throw in my two cents on the matter, Juvi's are amazing to care for in the fact that they're not babies and not as finicky i recommend 3-4 months old if you go for a juvi. but there is also other types of adoption like going to local animal shelters for surrendered animals or craigslist for people who cant take care of their animals anymore but if you do this be prepared for a world of finance and vet visits because these chams come with the problems of their last owner. this is the route i chose. now ofc you could always choose to add an adult male the the family. they are like tanks once they're adults. indestructible!!! but babies unless you supplement and feed really well are pretty hard to care for. i would also definitely suggest buying from a known breeder. its better to have a reliable blood line.

I was on the cham breeders here on the forms. I'm in love with FL chams. Might be a little pricey but would rather pay more than less for a good healthy juvenile.

Back
Top Bottom