what size locusts?

myma81

My veiled has been eating small locusts up until now but wondering whether he can now handle medium sized locusts, what do you guys think? I need to order some today.

You can use bigger locusts but break their back legs or pull them of to prevent regurgitation :)

because the bigger ones have stronger legs and might try to pop out of your chams mouth when half way down the throat! I have seen my cham have troubles eating a big one once so now I get my boyfriend to pull the legs off (i'm not very good at it lol) and she has no troubles. It's not gross :) just hold on to their butts with tongs and pull the legs off with your fingers (or more tongs if you don't like touching bugs) :) Sometimes the legs are fairly stuck on so you can just squish the knees!

I don't think you need to do that. Try feeding one and see how it goes. No one is pulling their legs off for them in the wild when they eat large insects!

I don't think you need to do that. Try feeding one and see how it goes. No one is pulling their legs off for them in the wild when they eat large insects!

Well that's what I was thinking. Not everyone does it then?
I've ordered small ones now but maybe I'll go bigger the next time around.

I don't feed locusts as I live in USA but I have never taken any legs off any large prey for that reason. Maybe others will chime in here but I don't think that is necessary! JMO

I always cut their back legs off anyway to prevent them from jumping everywhere and losing their calcium dust. Just my preference....

Back
Top Bottom