What size can he eat?

ChamyLove

I have a 9 month old male panther chameleon. I'm looking to buy some worms offline. Is he big enough to eat hornworms? I know the general rule that the length of food should be the length between their eyes, but I've seen adult chameleons eat bugs much larger than even their head. Do you think my chameleon will be able to eat worms as large as hornworms at his age?:confused:
Thanks

I often think people forget chameleons chew before swallowing. The rule o the eyes is good for new keepers but really doesn't have to be stuck to

Hornworms are very squishy and have quite a high water content making them easy to eat and swallo so your little guy should be fine with them even of they do look a little large for him.

I always thought it was the WIDTH of the food item shouldnt be bigger than the distance between their eyes? length would be pretty ridiculous...I dont think my cham would even bother with something that small

I often think people forget chameleons chew before swallowing. The rule o the eyes is good for new keepers but really doesn't have to be stuck to

Hornworms are very squishy and have quite a high water content making them easy to eat and swallo so your little guy should be fine with them even of they do look a little large for him.

Thank you! This will help me vary his diet a little more. :) I hope he will be happy with all these options I plan to get him! :D

I always thought it was the WIDTH of the food item shouldnt be bigger than the distance between their eyes? length would be pretty ridiculous...I dont think my cham would even bother with something that small

Yea this is right, it's the width of the feeder, not the length. Otherwise I'd be stuck feeding even tiny crickets to everyone! And tiny baby superworms.

Back
Top Bottom