What pedialyte is best to give your sick chameleon?

misskiwi26

Hi there! My chameleon is sick and has an appointment with vet this upcoming week. She has not been eating or drinking on her own. Ive been having to force feed her and give her water. I’ve read on multiple forums that giving sick, dehydrated chameleons pedialyte is beneficial. Is this so? and if so what kind of pedialyte is best to give them?
Thank you!

I can ask as many questions as I want and they are about different things. Ones about the pedialyte and ones about the baby food. Theres no rules so don’t tell me not to post 2 questions when I can do what I want.

I can ask as many questions as I want and they are about different things. Ones about the pedialyte and ones about the baby food. Theres no rules so don’t tell me not to post 2 questions when I can do what I want.
Well you’re not off to a great start with that attitude . .kinyonga is very knowledgeable and very willing to help but both of your questions could’ve been asked in one thread . Maybe try to come back with a little bit more of a respectful attitude it’ll go a lot further then coming out and saying you can just do whatever you want 😊👌

Well you’re not off to a great start with that attitude . .kinyonga is very knowledgeable and very willing to help but both of your questions could’ve been asked in one thread . Maybe try to come back with a little bit more of a respectful attitude it’ll go a lot further then coming out and saying you can just do whatever you want 😊👌
Well where are the rules? I thought of another question later in the day and can’t ask it? Great community you guys got here. Peace out ✌🏻

You can make more than one thread...but it makes it hard for us to follow what's going on with your chameleon so you may not get the best answer. I answer dozens of questions on here every day/week...I really don't have to want to look for all the posts made by one person in order to give the best answer...but I almost always end up having to do that because I do want to give the best answer. I'm sure many other forum members feel the same.

Also, because I answer so many questions, it's hard to keep track of what all is going on with each person's chameleon...one thread makes it easier.

Ask all the questions you want to...we always do our best to answer them. Some things make it easier for us..but we can do it the hard way too.

Here's a link to the rules...
https://www.chameleonforums.com/help/terms/

Photos would/might allow us to see if she's showing gravid colors or not. We might be able to tell if she's having reproductive issues that are making her sick. They might also show us other things that would give us clues to what is making her sick.

Photos of the cage might show us things that could be causing her to be sick...like incorrect lighting, plants you're using.

Answering the questions @Jpeff asked you to answer might tell us if you're feeding, supplements, etc might be causing the problems.

Just like doctors ask you questions and vets ask questions about your chameleon to figure out what's going on...so do we.

Hope this helps you to understand better why we're the way we are about it all. We want to help ur chameleon before it's too late and you're then saying," my chameleon died and I don't know why"..

I hope the vet you have the appointment with is a good chameleon vet...not just a dog and cat vet so he/she knows the complications that there can be with keeping chameleons and you'll get the help your chameleon needs.

Let us know what the vet has to say please.

This community is terrible and exactly why I am going to a professional. Yea I asked for help then got attacked for posting 2 threads? Like really people, grow up.

People care more about me posting 2 threads than helping the chameleon. I’m done with this forum, waste of my time. I will be taking her to a professional exotic vet who will actually give me real advice instead of attacking people. Good luck ya’ll!

This community is terrible and exactly why I am going to a professional. Yea I asked for help then got attacked for posting 2 threads? Like really people, grow up.
I really wish you would take a step back and put aside whatever slight you feel you have received. The two threads comment has a reason. When you post in 2 places and we are actively helping in many threads it makes it harder for us to help you because the info is scattered.

There are many reasons your cham could be declining. If female she could be egg bound. Or it could be an over supplementation issue or incorrect UVB issue.
This is why you were asked for images if your cham and info on your supplementation.

Because we keep chams we actually know their husbandry. Most vets unless they specialize in reptiles and chameleons can cause more harm then good.

I really wish you would take a step back and put aside whatever slight you feel you have received. The two threads comment has a reason. When you post in 2 places and we are actively helping in many threads it makes it harder for us to help you because the info is scattered.

There are many reasons your cham could be declining. If female she could be egg bound. Or it could be an over supplementation issue or incorrect UVB issue.
This is why you were asked for images if your cham and info on your supplementation.

Because we keep chams we actually know their husbandry. Most vets unless they specialize in reptiles and chameleons can cause more harm then good.
I have already done the research prior to getting my cham. She has proper UVB and I know she is egg bound, which is why I am taking her to the vet. I just wanted my 2 questions answered for the meantime but apparently thats not going to happen. I will seek professional help.

I have already done the research prior to getting my cham. She has proper UVB and I know she is egg bound, which is why I am taking her to the vet. I just wanted my 2 questions answered for the meantime but apparently thats not going to happen. I will seek professional help.
Depending on where you did your research you could have gotten the incorrect information. There are many many sites that give the wrong UVB and supplement info along with the incorrect temp info. Female husbandry differs from male husbandry.

If you would like experienced keepers to help you please post some pics of your girl. Do you have a lay bin set up in the cage and if so is it moist play sand and capable of holding a tunnel? How long has she been off food?

Be really careful force feeding and watering their airway is in the front of their mouth and it is very easy to aspirate them. When they are getting ready to lay it is very common for them to go off food. This link will show you and give info on how to without aspirating them. same concept applies in your case as with medicating http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/2014/05/how-to-give-different-medicines.html

If she is in fact egg bound then you have a very small window of time before her body shuts down.

Anyways... If you would like help we are happy to help. But there are certain aspects of care we need to know to do so.

I hope your professional is a good chameleon vet...and it's not too late to help your chameleon.

You said..." I know she is egg bound"...then are you ready for her to have surgery to remove the eggs? It needs to be done before she is too weak for the surgery. In almost every case of eggbinding, the cause is the husbandry. There is the odd case where it will be due to deformed eggs or other reproductive issues....but almost every case is husbandry related.
I hope she can be saved.

Yea I am planning on getting the surgery. You come off very rudely, I hope you know that. I keep her humidity between 50-60% and spray her with fresh cleaned water multiple times everyday.. its an exotic vet that specializes in reptile care. I have done my research.

I hope your professional is a good chameleon vet...and it's not too late to help your chameleon.

You said..." I know she is egg bound"...then are you ready for her to have surgery to remove the eggs? It needs to be done before she is too weak for the surgery. In almost every case of eggbinding, the cause is the husbandry. There is the odd case where it will be due to deformed eggs or other reproductive issues....but almost every case is husbandry related.
I hope she can be saved.

Yea I am planning on getting the surgery. You come off very rudely, I hope you know that. I keep her humidity between 50-60% and spray her with fresh cleaned water multiple times everyday.. its an exotic vet that specializes in reptile care. I have done my research.
I'm hoping for a quick and easy surgery and recovery! A few comments and questions though, veiled humidity should be 30-50% during the day, and higher at night (night levels depend on airflow and temps). How long, and when, do you mist her for? If you want to see the most accurate and up-to-date research, check out The Chameleon Academy!

Back
Top Bottom