What lighting

Cameryn

Hey sorry I know it’s late but I can’t figure out what lighting to get for my Cham I haven’t gotten him yet but want to be prepared this is the on that I’m planning on buying but want to make sure that its good

AnamCara

Chameleon Enthusiast
No you will need a linear UVB bulb that spans your entire enclosure. I think I said this in the last post of yours but I HIGHLY suggest looking through ALL the resources in the resource tab here and the care sheets as well.

Graves923

Chameleon Enthusiast
T5HO is the lighting you need for UVB. I would get a fixture that is atleast 24" long to accommodate the recommended adult size cages.

What species of chameleon are you looking to get? Generally, a 5.0 or 6% UVB bulb will be good for the common species such as Veileds and Panthers.

Rst_Cham

Chameleon Enthusiast
Ok my cage is a 16”x16”x30” cause I’m getting a baby
Since you'll need to eventually upgrade to a bigger cage, I suggest getting the 24" wide fixture at least so you won't have to buy a bigger light when you buy a bigger cage. It can just hang over the sides for now.

Last edited:

nightanole

Chameleon Enthusiast
Oh ok I didn’t think about that thanks

You can also get the big boy cage and section it off. I will buy the reptibreeze xls 24x24x48, and lift the bottom up 2ft to create a 2ft cube. But as long as jr can find food and has a good drinking/hydration method, you can put them in the big cage as soon as convenient. Though that means cup feeder training before hand, or float all toys/plants 6" above the bottom of the cage so the feeders cant hide.

Ruthless

Avid Member
Ok my cage is a 16”x16”x30” cause I’m getting a baby
I wouldn’t waste my money on that size cage they grow so fast they are eating machines and in within 6 months you will be looking to buy a adult size enclosure. Believe me 6 months will come faster then you know it. Also like other members have said get your taco 24 inch light fixture.

Graves923

Chameleon Enthusiast
As everyone said, the smaller cage wont last long. I had to upgrade to a 24" x 24" x 48" tall after a few months. More cost effective to go big from the start unless you don't mind dropping the extra cash after a few months. Generally, around the 8-10 month age (possibly younger) is when you'll absolutely need to get a larger cage for a veiled.

Top Bottom