What kind of substrate should I use?

Dmcugy

I am thinking of putting an inch or two of substrate at the bottom of my cage and covering it with a screen as i have read about the problems with impaction. What type of substrate would be best? I am only doing this to help maintain humididity so if any of you think that the whole idea isnt necessary let me know. THX!! :D

None would be the best. But if you really want something down there, newspapers or paper towels. Use plants, more mistings, or cover 2 or more sides with towels or a shower curtain to bump humidity.

No. There is no need to cover the sides. The adverage house is about 30% humity. Which is ok. But you should hand mist the cage 2 to 3 times a day. Also you can get a small live plant to put on the bottom of the cage to help with humity. Here is a picture of my males cage. The cover on the side of the cage is just there so he wont see the other chameleons.
063.jpg

Ok cool. I assume that is your feeder cup there on the bottom? Do the crickets not jump out?

There for like 2 seconds I thought it was a puppy pad LOL :D

I use paper towels as well, and they work great for me.

You can use it if you like taking it out and cleaning it constantly. Really paper towels or newspaper are the best options. Reptile carpet is great for tanks that stay mostly dry. Cham enclosures do not, and the carpet is a harbor for mold and bacteria.

so i could use paper towels? the shop told me i had to use bark for my girl and i just want to do the right thing for her what is best?

so i could use paper towels? the shop told me i had to use bark for my girl and i just want to do the right thing for her what is best?

When I went to my local pet store to buy my cham the also told me and made me buy bark, thankfully I read up and only used the substrate for 1 day....and by the way the crickets hide in the bark....

Paper towels work great.... easy to clean and easily replaced.... I change his every other day...

They tell you that to make another sell. They wont make money off of you if you buy paper towels.
Dont use anything but paper towels. Easy, clean, safe.

Back
Top Bottom