What kind of panther is this?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by @chris, Apr 16, 2018.

1. @chris

@chris Member

In a few days I’m going to buy everything I need for a panther enclosure and at my local reptile store they have these juvenile panthers. I’m not sure what kind they are. The pictures are blurry but I would love help figuring out what they might be. It looks slightly purple and green.

Attached Files:

2. chameleonneeds

chameleonneeds Avid Member

The one visible chameleon on the vine looks like a female so there is no way to tell what locale they might be looking at her. Additionally they are young and you won't be able to tell even looking at a male. If you can get pictures of the males we can only do so much as give you a guesstimation. It is a lot easier to identify panther locales from adult males.

Edit: On second thought it looks to be a male with very drab colours. Try get some more pictures of them looking a little brighter.

3. dshuld

dshuld Chameleon Enthusiast

It's definitely a male. Zooming in on the pic on my phone revealed the hemipenes bump on the base of the tail and pretty pronounced rostral process going on. A better pic (zoomed in a bit) may help but, I agree the current pic is still to drab to guess locale. Does the store not know what he's suppose to be?

4. Syreptyon

Syreptyon Chameleon Enthusiast

I agree, there is a clear hemipenal bulge. The colors are too nondescript to make a good guess as to locale, though. I would be a little hesitant to buy if they don't know the locale (which probably means they don't know where he came from)

jamest0o0 and CamrynTheCham22 like this.
  5. Fireborn

Fireborn Avid Member

Looking tamatave

6. jamest0o0

jamest0o0 Chameleon Enthusiast

Guessing ankaramy, though they seem to be rare so I could be way off.