What kind of bulb for heat

Zingaling

Im looking for a bulb for heat for my jackson chameleon. So for all you jackson owners what kind of bulb, incandescent, cfl, mvl, etc. how much wattage for 80-85 degree spot.
Thankyou very much.

A regular incandescent bulb will work. With mine I usually could get away with a 40 or 50w bulb, but you may have to use a 65w, depending on how cool your AC is. But you shouldn't need anything stronger than that. I use 40w bulbs now for my females to keep them in the low 80's, so something along those lines should work for you as well.

What's the avg temperature in your house? I wouldn't buy a basking spot light. Regular lights work just fine. I use a 40 watt regular bulb and temperatures are good. Also.... Make sure u have UVB. And no red light or anything is necessary. Unless he's outside and it gets cold. Then just get a ceramic emmitter.

Hawaii temps now are mid 80s and i dont have ac so i would say it runs abouts 81-84 degrees. But i hear chameleons need light in order to regulate their bodies. And i have a arcadia 6%. So would i need a 40 watt or something less since temps are already good for jacksons?

Edit: im scared if i get a 40 watt it would raise temps too much for my chameleon since its perfect temps for a jackson. But since there is no light he wouldnt be able to regulate even tho temps are good

I would just get one of each incan bulb; 25, 40, 50 and 75W and use a digital thermometer with a wired probe at about 8'' basking distance.
It takes some trial and error.

I use only 25W for all my chams, but may need to change to 40W in the winter.

Ok i bought a 40w incandescent but no thermo yet. But it seems i can only feel the heat about 5 inches away from the light, so id guess i should make his spot about 7 or 8 inches from the light. So i raised my dead ficus up a little but now im worried hes too close to the uvb light.

Back
Top Bottom