What is your view on vivariums

Hi as i am new i don't know what the view experienced chameleon keepers view is on vivariums

great for pygmy chameleons and poison dart frogs

for larger species ied stick to the standard 2'x2'x4' screen cage with no soil medium, just a bare floor with holes drilled for drainage of misting systems and easy cleaning:D

In the uk a vivarium is a wooden tank with glass front sliding doors. They don't necessarily have a substrate.

I have seen many people keep chams well in these with added ventilation and a place to allow the basking site to go outside the viv. Obviously you would still need to get one of the appropriate size and it would have to be fully sealed so water doesn't ruin the wood. They are good for places with low temps and humidity.

By 'vivarium' do you mean glass cage? Glass cages can work well for people, but the biggest problems with them is that drainage is an issue plus they are usually too small. To get one the appropriate size for an adult chameleon of the most popular species it needs to be at least 3 feet tall. That is very expensive and absurdly heavy! Homemade cages with more enclosed sides can work, or modifying a screen cage to have more solid siding is cheaper and easier to work with imo.

great for pygmy chameleons and poison dart frogs

for larger species ied stick to the standard 2'x2'x4' screen cage with no soil medium, just a bare floor with holes drilled for drainage of misting systems and easy cleaning:D

100% agree ^

i am also assuming by "vivarium" you actually just mean a glass tank.

you generally should not use one unless your ambient temperature or humidity are in the extremes away from typical chameleon care and you need the extra help maintaining temps/humidity

Like op said, all wood apart from front, which is sliding glass. Google it

I dont know where you're from.. But around here a viv is all glass that is special built for reptiles with ventilation. I'm guessing from the UK since another member mentioned the same thing that is from there.

OP... What kind of chameleon are you looking at getting?

This is from an English dictionary, but 'Vivarium' doesn't even imply what it is made of. You can have a wooden, glass or mesh vivarium. http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/vivarium?q=vivarium

Ones made of cardboard or string do tend to have various practical problems associated with them :D

Of course, this does make the OP's question fairly meaningless.........what do you think of containers for keeping Chameleons in?
The answer is that they can all work if you can get the right ventilation, range of temps, and humidity.
All glass fish tanks are usually called aquariums, so we can assume that's not what was meant (they are generally frowned upon for keeping chams in, see above)

Last edited:
Like op said, all wood apart from front, which is sliding glass. Google it

you are referring to a "european" front-opening glass style enclosure. these are often used for vivaria, which is why the confusion arises....

terraria, vivaria, aquaria, riparia, etc refer to the type of things contained IN the enclosure, not what the enclosure is made of....

Very true, I just think in America most people associate terrariums and vivariums as a place to keep plants, wich is usually glass to hold moisture. Especially since that was their orgional purpose.The meaning of the term changes as you transition through hobbies.

As long as the size is adequate as well as drainage it should work. This topic seems to get contraversial eventually though. Most ( that i've seen) don't agree with glass cages whether its from lack of ventalation or due to reflection in the glass.

Don't think he wanted to start a fight about the true meaning of vivarium,

Screen cages are my personal preference, great ventalation, good drainage and light penetration. Just watch humidity...

Wood and glass are ok I used these wen I started as they were cheaper but must be completely sealed and modified for air circulation, also found big problems as it is hard to mount the lights without completely cutting the top off your brand new viv... Lol

Don't no about all glass as have only ever kept fish in a tank,

Hope something helps, where u from and what u thinking about getting?
Az

Lol. I'm a noob but in the uk any Vivarium I've seen has been all wood with glass fronted sliding panels. Well I've only seen viv exotics sorry

I started wood and glass then when he got bigger and I had more cash I done a proper custom screen viv set up from Terry thatcher,

Is hard to find info in the uk tho, just keep posting threads
Az

Thanks everyone from what you have told me about the humidity i have decided to get a screen cage before i order is there any comments or things why i shouldn't get one

I'm not experienced but I am having luck with a mesh cage cause Geordi likes to climb it all over.

I have screen cages but I've also used home made wooden cages that have a solid wood back, acrylic front door, and mesh on the two sides and top and this is my ideal, perfect cage. I plan on having a few professionally built for my larger chameleons when I move into a more permanent home, but I built 6 of these for geckos way back when and am now using one for my carpet chameleon and love it (will also use the rest for any panther hatchlings I have).

I find this as a great mid-way point between a glass terrarium and a screen cage. The humidity lingers a little longer and there is still a lot of air flow.

An all screen cage is great though, not problems at all with it. If you find yourself having humidity issues there are very quick and simply solutions to them.

Attachments

• Building cage 5.jpg
    Building cage 5.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 121
Back
Top Bottom