What is your vet’s policy on fecal exams?

I wanted to get an updated fecal exam on my little guy but I called my vet and they said they can’t do a fecal exam on a pet they haven’t seen in the past month? I was there at the beginning of September, so like 3 months ago. I mentioned how hard it is to get a chameleon to the vet especially in the winter but they are maintaining that I would have to get an exam. Besides the fact that the vet told me I can bring in another fecal sample at a later date because the one I brought in September was really tiny, she apparently doesn’t remember this and maintains they can’t do one.

From what I read on here, it seems like you guys can just drop off a fecal sample at your vet and get it done? Should I try to find a different vet? I’m in Michigan and this was Cedar Creek Veterinary Clinic in Williamston, MI.

I wanted to get another fecal done because his first and only fecal exam was from a very tiny piece of poop. Also, I’m questioning on whether he is big enough for his age. He’s 6 months and about 4” from nose to vent.

Attachments

• 4CC288AF-61AA-4163-B4B4-4B454FDF294E.jpeg
    4CC288AF-61AA-4163-B4B4-4B454FDF294E.jpeg
    112.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 05C50EB4-DBD3-467E-B162-551FC39B6BA7.jpeg
    05C50EB4-DBD3-467E-B162-551FC39B6BA7.jpeg
    139.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 7EF09472-3CDC-4A41-AB2C-1157B952DEF5.jpeg
    7EF09472-3CDC-4A41-AB2C-1157B952DEF5.jpeg
    97.6 KB · Views: 50
My "vets" are 50/50 split.

They will do a $10-20 float

First ones stipulation is that they have had to have seen the animal once in its lifetime

The other is the normal "animal has to been seen in the last year".

The year this is due to they can not perscribe meds for animals they havent seen in the past year. The first vet just YOLO's it, and if you need meds, its an additional vet/exam visit. The second vet will just phone in the meds if the float shows something.

I believe the law is your pet has to be in within one year for additional meds and fecals but it could be different in other states.
Thanks for your reply! I totally understand that if they are going to be giving treatment. I was just hoping to be able to do a fecal exam every so often (assuming it’ll be negative) without having to bring in my cham.

Do you get your chameleons a fecal exam periodically? What do you think of my chameleon and his size? He’s grown alot since I got him, just worried he’s not growing quick enough.

My "vets" are 50/50 split.

They will do a $10-20 float

First ones stipulation is that they have had to have seen the animal once in its lifetime

The other is the normal "animal has to been seen in the last year".

The year this is due to they can not perscribe meds for animals they havent seen in the past year. The first vet just YOLO's it, and if you need meds, its an additional vet/exam visit. The second vet will just phone in the meds if the float shows something.
Yeah I totally understand that if they are going to be giving treatment they want to see them. I was hoping to be able to make doing a fecal exam a routine (assuming it’ll be negative) without having to bring in my cham.

Do you get your chameleons a fecal exam periodically? What do you think of my chameleon and his size? He’s grown alot since I got him, just worried he’s not growing quick enough and wanted to get him checked again.

Do you know how much the size of the poop matters when testing for parasites? If it’s a small poop, is it more likely to not show anything?

Yeah I totally understand that if they are going to be giving treatment they want to see them. I was hoping to be able to make doing a fecal exam a routine (assuming it’ll be negative) without having to bring in my cham.

Do you get your chameleons a fecal exam periodically? What do you think of my chameleon and his size? He’s grown alot since I got him, just worried he’s not growing quick enough and wanted to get him checked again.

Do you know how much the size of the poop matters when testing for parasites? If it’s a small poop, is it more likely to not show anything?

I do a fecal 90 days after i first receive an animal, and never again.

CHams have massive growth spurts, so you cant go by "mine is 7 months old and should be 100 grams". You could not have any growth for 2 months, then a doubling in weight over 4-6 weeks. This is also why i recommend the feeding of "as many as wanted in one setting every other day" vs 6 crickets a day or something.

As for poop sample, u want the brown stuff, and the more the merrier. Its called a fecal "float" for a reason :p

As a 3rd option, you can do the "poop in the mail" kits for $30-40, and if something pops up, then you goto the vet and pay for the exame/perscription.

Could do a float yourself with phone microscope lense, do counts as per McMaster's method, parasite eggs float in a suspension of ready made solution collect surface film on a slide cover slip. View certain amount of random locations and magnifications🤓 or send a fresh sample to a lab.
How concerned are you with health of your chameleon if you are concerned it has parasites maybe good to get a check-up, if just making sure as otherwise happy with health then get a mail to lab test

I do a fecal 90 days after i first receive an animal, and never again.

CHams have massive growth spurts, so you cant go by "mine is 7 months old and should be 100 grams". You could not have any growth for 2 months, then a doubling in weight over 4-6 weeks. This is also why i recommend the feeding of "as many as wanted in one setting every other day" vs 6 crickets a day or something.

As for poop sample, u want the brown stuff, and the more the merrier. Its called a fecal "float" for a reason :p

As a 3rd option, you can do the "poop in the mail" kits for $30-40, and if something pops up, then you goto the vet and pay for the exame/perscription.
That makes me feel a bit better. I let him eat as many as he can a couple times a day, every day but know this has to be cut back to every other day when he’s around 1 year old? He’s been doubling in weight every 3 weeks ever since I’ve started feeding him dubia roaches (the past 3 months). Thanks for the help!

Could do a float yourself with phone microscope lense, do counts as per McMaster's method, parasite eggs float in a suspension of ready made solution collect surface film on a slide cover slip. View certain amount of random locations and magnifications🤓 or send a fresh sample to a lab.
How concerned are you with health of your chameleon if you are concerned it has parasites maybe good to get a check-up, if just making sure as otherwise happy with health then get a mail to lab test
Thanks for much for the great idea! I’ll have to see if I can try that out! I’m not really concerned too much for his health, he seems to be healthy, he seen the vet just 3 months ago. I’m just concerned he may? be a bit small for his age

Mine said they can do fecal at any time but if they need to prescribe meds there has to be a well check within the last year.
That what I expected to be told. Especially since my cham just had an exam 3 months ago. Unfortunately, it seems their policy is all about money.

Hard to say? I’d imagine it varies by location :/ my vet was fine with doing a fecal so long as I brought him in for an examination first.

Time to get a new vet, it sounds like they're just trying to get your money. I could see if they're prescribing meds or doing an evaluation, but fecals is no different than a blood test.

Around here it varies. Some will do a fecal without exam—some won't.
It couldn't hurt to call around and ask.

Sometimes it's about the money, and sometimes it's about the lawyers.

Sweet little cham! I have a nosy be who is 8.5 months and he was so small for so long, I am finally able to take him for bloodwork tomorrow as he has reached the 30 gram threshold the vet gave me. I think what I am learning from our time with this little dude is that although there are norms for size, there is a lot of wiggle room also.
To answer your question, I am certain I could get a fecal done anytime and our vet even responds to emails. Finding a good herp vet is so hard. Although mine is accomodating, they don't know as much as they should, so I am learning to be on top of my game.
All said, I have spoke to several experts and they all say that small babies often catch up. My guy just found his appetite one day after I experimented a bit with his vitamins and he went from holding at 12g for what seemed like forever to gaining 4-5g a week. Just sayin', size isn't necessarily a sign of trouble. Make sure you have really good knowledge about lights, supplimentation, etc...

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom