what is wrong Max? suddenly scared to death of EVERYTHING

little leaf

Avid Member
has anyone had one of their chams go into a sudden personalty change?
Max for the last 3 days has seemed to become terrified of everything but me - if he is in his cage, he will try to dig UNDER his plant to hide, he will not come out for anything - not to bask, drink , eat - I have torn the cage apart to be sure there was no stray bug - or anything spooky looking to him - he will stay out when I pick him up, put him under the basking light, I can get him to eat, and drink also, but ONLY if I am standing right there- as soon as I walk away - he goes back into hiding - and if I take him out of his cage, he tries to hide in my armpit - I have NO idea what has happened to him - any ideas gang ? I am at a total loss ~ he is just about in a panic - and I feel so bad for him - any advise would be appreciated :(

Cheryl.. I have experienced personality changes with my panthers, but nothing that dramatic, and it is usually related to changing weather conditions (aka the winter blues).

Did he maybe have a close call with some wildlife when he was outdoors?

Cheryl.. I have experienced personality changes with my panthers, but nothing that dramatic, and it is usually related to changing weather conditions (aka the winter blues).

Did he maybe have a close call with some wildlife when he was outdoors?

not that I know of- he loves it outside- now, come to think- this started 1 day AFTER I pulled ALL chams in thanks to our stupid cold snap - they are all going back out today- but Max is odd- lol and even when is "out" - he is still very rarely far from me - IF I lock him in his cage outside, he is ok w/ it- but he just loves to be close - so mostly he is like a tick- stuck on me someplace - I do not let him w/ me while feeding the others- Olive would wig out- and Oliver is a chicken - lol Capone HATES him , and would go after him I am sure - something has happened to him- but I dont know how , or when - could this all be because he had to come inside ? yike- if that may be the case- winter is going to be a nightmare !

have you changed anything in the room? my chams change when I remodel my room, move things around, even when I dye my hair they hate me for a couple days, also any new things in the room could stress him out, if hes younger less then a year old there prone to stress more then the adults since they have more of a fight or flight in them..at least that's what I have noticed with my chams. maybe try putting a blanket over him to let him calm down?

have you changed anything in the room? my chams change when I remodel my room, move things around, even when I dye my hair they hate me for a couple days, also any new things in the room could stress him out, if hes younger less then a year old there prone to stress more then the adults since they have more of a fight or flight in them..at least that's what I have noticed with my chams. maybe try putting a blanket over him to let him calm down?

I did clean all the cages - a good scrubbing, took each one outside, took it apart... ( it took me 12 hrs :eek: ) but I even take pics of the cages to be sure every little thing is back in its spot - and this was 2 weeks too- he acts like something is going to get him - he looks up to the corner- I see NOTHING ? I have all but climbed in his cage to get his view - lol - maybe something WAS in there and now it gone ? but he thinks it is still there ?
he is an older cham - maybe he has gone senile ? (JK - but I am starting to look for post on older cham needs.... he is no spring chicken :p )

I did clean all the cages - a good scrubbing, took each one outside, took it apart... ( it took me 12 hrs :eek: ) but I even take pics of the cages to be sure every little thing is back in its spot - and this was 2 weeks too- he acts like something is going to get him - he looks up to the corner- I see NOTHING ? I have all but climbed in his cage to get his view - lol - maybe something WAS in there and now it gone ? but he thinks it is still there ?
he is an older cham - maybe he has gone senile ? (JK - but I am starting to look for post on older cham needs.... he is no spring chicken :p )

maybe hes seeing a ghost ;) animals have that kinda sense haha. you seem to be doing everything right I dont take pics of my cages and put them the same, but my chams are used to change .. well besides my baby but hes a baby so skittish is expected from him. I wish you luck I hope you can figure it out keep us posted :)

Did your cham start freaking out after you cleaned his cage?

If you put him in a different cage, or on free range, what does he do?

Did your cham start freaking out after you cleaned his cage?

If you put him in a different cage, or on free range, what does he do?

I have not tried him in a dif/ cage- he did not start RIGHT after- about a day after I pulled them in due to the cold snap - and almost 2 weeks after the big cage cleaning ~ so they all been in for about 4 days solid- they are all use to being outside 24/7 EXCEPT Max, he comes in about every night - I am going to be putting all out in about an hr - I am also going to see how he acts- if he acts better in the outdoor fr/ I may just let him stay the night out - he is so friendly, and bold - nothing upsets him -until now ? there has to be something in that cage I am missing - you can tell its fear-not like a hunger strike thing- he is eating - but only if I stand there and just about hold his hand - if my hand is IN the cage, or the bug is on me, he will eat it - if I walk away, he hides - I am going let him outside, and watch how he acts - if he still shows fear out there- then I know its not just the cage inside- I just feel so bad for him :( and no one seems happy about losing the sun -lol but everyone else is pretty much acting normal ~ I wonder if he is about to or is getting sick? like he knows to hide if he is not feeling well ? but he seems fine as far as "healthy" body wise- its his mind- :confused:

My guess is a reaction to him being inside. Sometimes it only a small change, but it will upset your Cham. Just leave him on your shoulder or in your hair for a couple days, he always loves that!

Anything in his cage that is shiny and reflective?

I had a small shiny ss feeder in Smeagie's cage and it took me days for figure out he was seeing a relection in the feeder.
When I took it out, he was fine.

Also, Smidget was scared to death of the dripper when I first put it in.

I thought he was going to kill himself running around the cage in a frenzy.

The second I removed the dripper, he was normal.

My guess is a reaction to him being inside. Sometimes it only a small change, but it will upset your Cham. Just leave him on your shoulder or in your hair for a couple days, he always loves that!

yes, I always wanted a 2 lb hair clip :p
he is out side right now - still acting very nervous :( at least he is eating and drinking- 3 cicada this am, and 2 banana roaches -

Anything in his cage that is shiny and reflective?

I had a small shiny ss feeder in Smeagie's cage and it took me days for figure out he was seeing a relection in the feeder.
When I took it out, he was fine.

Also, Smidget was scared to death of the dripper when I first put it in.

I thought he was going to kill himself running around the cage in a frenzy.

The second I removed the dripper, he was normal.

now with him out- I am sticking me head in the cage - there has to be SOMETHING I am just not seeing- ?? it is sad, and frustrating to see him like this- Max, he is the sweetest thing on earth - I need to make this right - what ever it is..... :confused: :mad: I know I can rule out the dripper - its the same one he has always had - the feed cups are dif/ cups, but all the same style- ( large opaque deli cups ) I change them daily ~ but they go back in the same spot - I just dont know- but I am going to find it !!

Did he fall? One time my female fell and the day after she was freaked. :rolleyes:

not that I know of - I tried to be sure his cage is pretty safe, as he did seem to have an issue w/ that mos ago - but not any more- but anything is possible :(

after sticking my WHOLE head, and 1/2 my body :eek: :p in there- I SEE NOTHING :mad:

You have me curious about this mystery,

Any way you could put this on video so we can see it in action?

Do you have a spare cage that is the same size?

I am going through something simaler with Smidget.
I moved him from a 18'' cube, to a 16X 16X 36'' cage and a different
location!!!

He is acting really weired, and will not eat crickets anymore where he used to
go nuts hunting them down and eating them.

Now, they are all over, and acts like he doesn't see them.

He will eat flies, and silkies that I hand feed him.
But both of those are going to run out real soon!!

Did you say you change the location of his cage?

Back
Top Bottom