What is this??

stalincat

Noticed something weird on Bishop's crest today. Took him out. A part of this is raised and moist. Looks like a burn bubble. Is it a burn? What is it?
Why is it always him getting all sorts of ailments..
Do I need to take him to the vet?

Attachments

• 2013-09-29 13.08.51.jpg
    2013-09-29 13.08.51.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 237
  • 2013-09-29 13.09.05.jpg
    2013-09-29 13.09.05.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 177
  • 2013-09-29 13.09.27.jpg
    2013-09-29 13.09.27.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 230
  • 2013-09-29 13.09.48.jpg
    2013-09-29 13.09.48.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
It does not look blackened like a burn but it does not look normal either. i would say that that looks like some type of infection due to the swelling. if it is in fact an infection then you need to get it checked out because that area runs along his spine (from the brain not the spikes). good luck :)

it may be a purn though because part of the spine is black and there is a black line just under the infection.

That's the oddest thing I've ever seen. It almost looks as though his color is running.

I am of no help, I'm sorry. I hope everything goes well for you and your little guy. Please keep everyone updated.

I put some antiseptic cream on twice yesterday, it looks much better today! The raised area is pretty much gone. Still gonna take him to the vet I guess

It looks like the start of a burn to me. Usually the affected areas start off as a blanched colour with blisters, then turn black and potentially slough off depending on severity. You can see it has also affected the knees on the back legs, although not as badly. I can't see his casque in those pictures but it may be there too. Casque, spine and knees are usually the areas closest to the offending light, There is a little bit about burns written here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/healthx/body-behavior/

I would take him to a vet. Burns can be quite painful so antibiotics and topical medicines may be needed. Also check your basking light to verify that it wasn't replaced by a higher wattage and move the basking branch a little lower.

Thanks for your replies!
I checked the bulb, it was 100W instead of the usual 60:eek:. Gotta ask the mister when he comes home if he changed it. I put another 60 though.

I've been putting an antiseptic (dibrompropamidine isethionate 0.15%) on for the last 2 days. Seems to be getting better. Will try to book him in for tomorrow. Depends on a friend who can give me a lift - the exotic vet is quite far.

it's weird though.. my other 2 chams have 100W bulbs.. and they've been doing fine

Yep, looks like a thermal burn that has blistered, I'd be really careful about not letting it get infected.

Good luck at the vet... You will want silvadene cream, it works wonders. I know, I was severely burnt in an explosion as a kid and that stuff saved me from having terrible facial scars.

Back
Top Bottom