What is this white growth on my Veiled Chameleon?

testdepth

Bought this Chameleon from another owner who raised it from a baby. He said it is about 1.5 years old. It has this white growth on the skin of it's head. Anyone have any idea what this is?

Chameleon is otherwise healthy, happy and very active little male.

Veiled Chameleon growth on face.png

Odds are its an abscess from a cricket bite, cut, or some other injury. Reptiles dont make "puss" they make "mung (Mong?)" which isnt liquid.

Soft growth and not hard if that makes a difference. We are first time Chameleon owners so we are only as smart as Google.

It's definitely not a shed right? It's doesn't look like the papilloma virus... Wait am I looking at the correct part? Just making sure XD is it by his nose?

Better picture of growth and no it's not from shedding. On left side of face sticking out inside yellow circle.
This is not just a piece of food or calcium stuck to his face. Not sure if it's possible one of his scales is infected or developed this growth. Obviously nobody else has come across this before.

close large.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah that's what I thought you were talking about. Definitely doesn't look like the usual papilloma growth (which is honestly great news if I am right, because that is hell to deal with). I think you'd need to take him in to be sure what it is.

So nobody on this site either owners or Vets has any idea what this growth is on the chameleon's face?

Guess I won't worry about it.

Thanks anyway!

This is not the decision in my opinion to be made. All you are showing us is a poor picture of his face. We can't feel the texture or do any tests. This would be a reason to take him into a vet.

I am a new chameleon owner as well so of course have never seen this, but I would take to the vet if it were my little guy. Also, @Andee is pretty knowledgeable when it come to chameleons and advice. IMO I wouldn't just throw her comments aside.

Just because we have seen it, doesn't mean it is nothing to worry about! I would keep an eye on it and check him over daily to see that he does not have any other growths popping up or that that growth does not continue to enlarge.. And I am not convinced it is not the start of the Papilloma virus.

We had another member on here who had a carpet chameleon with a growth on his nose. I am going to post a picture. I remember the growth had little spiky things jetting out from it.
images

"Typical for other Papillomas Initial infection shows not outward signs for several weeks to several months Cell tissue mutation leads to spongy tissue growth resulting in tan to eggshell horn like growths" taken off Reddit website.

If its coming from his nose it most likely excess water or calcium. My Arthur does this occasionally and i just wipe the crystals off with a wet q-tip

"Typical for other Papillomas Initial infection shows not outward signs for several weeks to several months Cell tissue mutation leads to spongy tissue growth resulting in tan to eggshell horn like growths" taken off Reddit website.

Thanks so much for the response @carol5208 I have only seen the start of I think later papilloma virus where it's had a while to cook. Still so little is known about the issue. I hope they find out more soon.

Thanks so much for the response @carol5208 I have only seen the start of I think later papilloma virus where it's had a while to cook. Still so little is known about the issue. I hope they find out more soon.
No problem. Just trying to help out and I may be wrong here. It does look like a little hornlike growth though, and not sure what other virus or bacterial or fungual infection that has these characteristics.

This is not the decision in my opinion to be made. All you are showing us is a poor picture of his face. We can't feel the texture or do any tests. This would be a reason to take him into a vet.

The only growth is the one piece on his face where I took the high quality close up shot. There are no other growths anywhere on him. It's flexible when you touch it.

Back
Top Bottom