What is this plant?

kaylie

I got this from my reptile store, asked the kid there what it was, he wasn't sure, but said that all the plants they have on the shelves were safe for chams. Just wanna make sure before it goes in.
plant.jpg

looks like a dracenia species, not is.
If in doubt, dont.
There is a safe list on this forum (see main page on left)
complete with botanical names, I suggest printing it out before you go plant shopping. :)

Chinese Evergreen

I got this from my reptile store, asked the kid there what it was, he wasn't sure, but said that all the plants they have on the shelves were safe for chams. Just wanna make sure before it goes in.
View attachment 32742

Its a chinese evergreen, _Aglaonema_ sp., probably A. domesticum. Not really recommended for animal habitats where there is a grazing inhabitant. Not super toxic though.

Its in the Aroid family, and like most in that family, is has special oxalates called raphides which cause an immediate burning sensation when bitten into. Most animals take one bite and never try it again. A small number might eat enough to hurt themselves. Your call.

Last edited:
Its a chinese evergreen, _Aglaonema_ sp., probably A. domesticum. Not really recommended for animal habitats where there a grazing inhabitant. Not super toxic though.

Its in the Aroid family, and like most in that family, is has special oxalates called raphides which cause an immediate burning sensation when bitten into. Most animals take one bite and never try it again. A small number might eat enough to hurt themselves. Your call.

Thanks so much. I'll try it, my guy has no interest in eating greens at all so he probably won't want to eat it anyway. However, I'll look at it every day and if I see bite marks I'll take it out.

Back
Top Bottom