What is this on my cham?

PorschaLei

Just saw this today, is it a growth, calcium deposit, bite?
1CA470BE-B57D-4CD9-B684-EFA5B6475805-3370-000000CEC6E0269D_zps55b971ec.jpg

And hes been keeping this eye closed also it looks a bit sunken. He gets daily misting and has a drip system

25715C8A-7DAD-4162-A51F-F3B777DCD010-3370-000000CEFBC3B8CF_zpsf030d100.jpg

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Panther Chameleon (possible Nosey Be/ Ambilobe cross), 13 months, ive had him for 4 months
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? He is handled once a week, if he feels like being interacted with
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? He is currently eating crickets, 7-10 every other day. Gets fed in the morning sometimes afternoon.
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? He gets calcium dust every feeding except for the beginning of each week he either gets calcium w/ D3 or Multivitamin
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I have a little dripper that drips all day long and is misted 3-4 times a day. Recently havent seen him drinking
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Hasnt been tested, fecal looks normal
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen (Repti Breeze) i believe the 36x18
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Lighting uva and uvb bulbs separate, lighting is on for at least 12 hrs
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Lowest temp between 60-70 high basking around 85, have two thermometers
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Three plants in the exhibit with hygrometer often reads between 20-40 depending on the time of day. I try to mist more to keep humidity up
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Usinng live plants (corn plant, devils ivy) and one more cant recall the name but purchased from the safe plant list
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Cage is placed on top of my burrough, i do have the A/C running at night because of my asthma as well as my two longer coated dogs having issues sleeping in the heat. During the day i try to keep a/c off so humidity can build
Location - Where are you geographically located? New York

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Dehydration

Pictures are helpful

Thanks for filling out the info sheet.

How are you measuring your temps? Those spikes on your chams back look like burns to me. Or it could be a fungus. Lots of possibilities! Best way to get it checked out is by a experienced Herp vet in your area.

It's rare that crickets chew on chams, but it's very possible.

If your cham is closing it's eyes, try giving him 2 long showers a week till his eye clears up. Each shower should be about 15-30 minutes with warm water. Allow the water to splash off the walls and onto a plant so your cham can hang on it. This will allow him to drink, clean his eyes, and use the bathroom :D Your cham might have something in his eyes which is causing irritation.

You can also try moving your dripper to a different spot where you're normally not around and he may drink from it. Did that with my cham and he started drinking from it when I moved it :rolleyes:...

Also your guy looks exactly like my cham!

I can't diagnose him, but I can give you my personal opinion.

It looks like a burn to me. That is a pretty common spot for burns. It would also explain why he looks dehydrated. I would lift the heat lamp off of the cage if it is sitting directly on the screen. Double check your temps with a different thermometer. Your light may be giving off way too much heat, or be too close to him. Maybe even both. The vet would be able to properly diagnose him, treat the problem, and make sure he doesn't get an infection. The eye issue may be because the heat is drying them out, or he is having a secondary issue because of the original problem. Your best bet would be to take him to the vet as soon as possible. You can make changes at home, but he will still need to be treated.

I hope this helped. He is beautiful by the way. : )

Back
Top Bottom