What is the most interesting species you've found while herping?

varnerya

I was just crurious what the community here has found while out and about looking for reptiles and other similar critters. Specifically, have you or anyone you know ever found salamanders while herping? I've read that they're pretty difficult to find.

I used to go salamander hunting with my children when they were small 40+ years ago. We easily found them in the bush near our house by looking under rotting logs or flat stones. We only observed them and then left them there. I wish I knew the species...but all I can say is that they were small.

We also could easily find the (yellow) spotted salamander near Terra Cotta years ago too.

There's a road in Burlington, Ontario that closes every year for a week or two so that the endangered Jefferson salamander can cross to mate. I've never seen any there...but I didn't look for long.

Where are you looking for them?

Found a tiger sally once, but didn’t keep it. My cousins found one last summer stuck in a rocky window well, and I saved him from being cat food. Meet Slimothy: 4491B5E5-D28D-44BC-AFDF-3D6ED1E32BA7.jpeg
Where are you geographically? Also what kind are you looking for, as their preferred habitats can range quite a bit.

I'm looking for them in shallow bogs in southern Wisconsin. I always thought it would be exciting to come across a tiger salamander. I've found a few blue spotted salamanders last year.
The thing with tigers is that they’re a type of mole salamander, and spend much of their time underground. Checking under logs is a good place to start, or looking for vernal pools in the spring.

Two of the most fulfilling was tracking down Anolis allisoni & Anolis chlorocyanus in FL. Most fun is discovering new populations of Podarcis. Most fun to chase was the Zebra Tails in Texas. And the most surprising was finding a Leo & Grilled Lizard in Hollywood, FL.

Here in UK when I was young and full of adventure I used to find deaf adders aka slow worms a species of legless lizard (Anguis fragilis). They can drop their tails if handled incorrectly.
View attachment 320362

I had a leg less lizard one for a short time and was surprised at how much pressure they could put on your hand while you tried to hold them...they definitely can manipulate their way out of your grip easily IMHO. The one I had was definitely a quick mover.

I had a leg less lizard one for a short time and was surprised at how much pressure they could put on your hand while you tried to hold them...they definitely can manipulate their way out of your grip easily IMHO. The one I had was definitely a quick mover.
Yeah i don't understand the Slow worm name because they where pretty quick at evading. They have some other names which are not very PC too which I wont mention on here.
Sadly in UK the diversity of reptiles is quite low i think i have captured all the lizards (3) i have spotted 2 of the snakes while walking and there is one other that i haven't seen which is isolated the south coast called the smooth snake, there's still time I'm planning to take my kids to Dorset soon maybe i can find one then. Its on the bucket list😆

Yeah i don't understand the Slow worm name because they where pretty quick at evading. They have some other names which are not very PC too which I wont mention on here.
Sadly in UK the diversity of reptiles is quite low i think i have captured all the lizards (3) i have spotted 2 of the snakes while walking and there is one other that i haven't seen which is isolated the south coast called the smooth snake, there's still time I'm planning to take my kids to Dorset soon maybe i can find one then. Its on the bucket list😆
The smooth snakes should be out and about soon...
https://www.froglife.org/info-advice/amphibians-and-reptiles/smooth-snake/

Thanks for info i didn't know they have a skunk like defense 😂 something too watch out for
Quite a few snakes have a stinky smell (musk) that they produce to make predators think twice about eating them!
If you ever try to see a snake by probing it you can/will find out fast about it!

One little snake in Canada has quite an "act" to discourage predators...along with a mild venom, if it really has to get to that,
It flares it's neck like a cobra...if that doesn't work it flips over, belly side up and then musks the predator.

http://canadianherpetology.ca/species/species_page.html?cname=Eastern Hog-nosed Snake

Wow, thanks for all the responses. I was just interested to see what everyone has managed to find near where they live. However, I would be most interested to find a tiger salamander.

Quite a few snakes have a stinky smell (musk) that they produce to make predators think twice about eating them!
If you ever try to see a snake by probing it you can/will find out fast about it!

One little snake in Canada has quite an "act" to discourage predators...along with a mild venom, if it really has to get to that,
It flares it's neck like a cobra...if that doesn't work it flips over, belly side up and then musks the predator.

http://canadianherpetology.ca/species/species_page.html?cname=Eastern Hog-nosed Snake
I've encountered a Hog-nosed snake before. I can't be sure if he secreted any sort of musk, but he did flail around violently before going completely limp with his belly up and tongue hanging out of his open mouth.

What is the most interesting species you've found while herping?
Oh... you meant reptile/amphibian species! :ROFLMAO:

I can't herp anymore, but when I did, I was fascinated by pretty much anything I came across—they were ALL pretty interesting. I guess I thought that was the point. 🤷‍♂️

I'd be afraid to even touch something like that for fear of having parts of him fall off
Giant Day Geckos (like the Geico commercials) are even worse. They can drop tails and slough off patches of skin, which can sometimes result in infections.

Back
Top Bottom