What is the easiest type of cham to handle?

Dmcugy

I know that chams in general dont like to be handled. I have had a 4-5 month old veiled cham for about a month now and have yet to be able to get him out since i put him in his enclosure. So any suggestions on how to get him out? He has only hissed at me once but there is a alot of foliage for him to run to and he is fast so he usually just runs off into the leaves. Also i am considering getting a second cham so i was wondering which type of cham might have shown a tendency to not mind being pulled out every now and then just to do maintenance on the cage etc. I would love to hear back about all of yalls experiences with different type of chams.

Well from what I have heard and seen. It is not the species as much as the individal cham itself. Some velieds are wonderful, some are a nightmare. Then some panthers are wonderful, some are a nightmare. See where im going. It depends on the animal.
This is my panther "Ranger" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkPtTAzHOK8
He is a exceptionaly freindly guy.

Well from what I have heard and seen. It is not the species as much as the individal cham itself. Some velieds are wonderful, some are a nightmare. Then some panthers are wonderful, some are a nightmare. See where im going. It depends on the animal.
This is my panther "Ranger" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkPtTAzHOK8
He is a exceptionaly freindly guy.

Yes i have seen vids of your cham perviously and am very jealous of you and your chams relationship! And that sounds about like what ive heard from other ppl. I have also heard, however, that veileds are especially aggressive and territorial so i guess i was just wondering if panthers were like that as well or more docile?

I know that chams in general dont like to be handled. I have had a 4-5 month old veiled cham for about a month now and have yet to be able to get him out since i put him in his enclosure. So any suggestions on how to get him out? He has only hissed at me once but there is a alot of foliage for him to run to and he is fast so he usually just runs off into the leaves. Also i am considering getting a second cham so i was wondering which type of cham might have shown a tendency to not mind being pulled out every now and then just to do maintenance on the cage etc. I would love to hear back about all of yalls experiences with different type of chams.

They are individuals...I wouldn't say there is any one species in which every animal is predictably easy. You need to teach them that you are not going to eat them. It takes patience as chams are not fast learners :). Just hissing is nothing. Some go so far as to lunge and bite your hands. Most of the time it's a bluff.

To coax on out of a cage you can hold a perch/twig in one hand and herd the cham onto it. Or, use your other hand and let him climb onto you. Have a place outside the cage to put him on such as a nice bushy houseplant in a sunny window. I have one of those bushy fake Ficus trees that I can move easily. They can learn that humans offer special treat insects and can provide rides to sunny basking spots in the house.

I believe it's all in the way you treat your chameleon. If they are well cared for and treated with love and respect they are normally friendlier. Try putting a large plant or tree in front of his open cage door and stand way back and allow him to come out on his own. Once out they are usually easier to handle. Carlton above has some excellent ideas.

overall i say jut try another "easier" species to work with

like a panthers or maybe jacksons

Yes i have seen vids of your cham perviously and am very jealous of you and your chams relationship! And that sounds about like what ive heard from other ppl. I have also heard, however, that veileds are especially aggressive and territorial so i guess i was just wondering if panthers were like that as well or more docile?

LOL, thanks. I know he is a diamond in the rough. I agree with the others. The animal has to learn trust. But not all are created equal. Have you checked this out?http://www.screameleons.com/How_To_Handle_Chameleons.htm
They show shome good tips on handling.

I would not buy into the theory that chams don't like to be handled. If thats the case I would say no reptile likes to be picked up. Its all about how much time you spend taming your pet. I have a Jackson and a Veiled chameleon. As stated every animal is different and deals with handling in their own special way. My Jackson is by far one of my tamest animals. When I first got my Jackson I waited one week before I picked him up. I was going to wait longer but I seen the perfect chance to pick him up and I took it. What I mean is he came to the bottom of the cage and was looking for a way up and I stuck my hand down and he came right on. From that day I pick him up for 5-10 mins a day. Another thing is sometimes we hesitate or are more skidish then our animals. lol Next time I would just close your eyes(not really) and go for it. Don't mind the hissing he might only be doing it to scare you. He might think your a big chameleon. Also keep in mind 99% of times once you get your cham on your hand their fine. One last thing sometimes when I have a grumpy cham I wave one hand and while he/she is looking ay my waving hand quickly put your other hand under the chin and hopefully they climb on. Hope this was a little help. Good luck don't loose faith.

here is my Jackson
IMG_0822.jpg

my pie trans veild
IMG_1210.jpg

My female Veiled loves me eats out of my hand, My male veiled hates me try’s to get a bit of chocolate lol, my Morph panther loves me, and my Ambanja can’t stand me. Point is I think u got it, they are all different keep working on it is all I can say. Gd luck.;)

I have a female Veiled that was evil when I got her. I think she is slowly building trust. I'm able to hand fed her now without her running away and hissing. Before as soon as I approached her cage she would hide. So I think associating food with my hand has helped her be more "tame" and I can hold her now. Give hand feeding a try until you cham finally takes a bug from you.

Back
Top Bottom